Chapter 96

Katniss
After the sun leaves the sky and the moon appears, Peeta and I walk up onto the steps of our home. Following the District 12 tradition, the guests sing an old marraige lulluby that was created even before the Districts. I laugh when Peeta picks me up in his arms, my face growing hot due to the clapping around us. My mother and Hazel are talking to each other through tears and Gale stares at his feet with a small grin. My nose brushes against Peeta's and we kiss once more before they all leave. A part of me feels as though I'm back in the Capitol, having to uncomfortably act out my love for Peeta. The only difference now is that my feelings for him are all real.
Peeta and I collapse on the couch in each other's arms. Our lips lock together and I let his hands get tangled in my hair. "I love you Peeta," I whisper. I can feel his smile against mine.
"I love you too.'
"Do you still have flashbacks when we kiss?" I ask silently. I'm not sure why I said it. Maybe things were moving too fast for me, and I needed some way to slow it down.
"Not really, no. Why do you ask?" he says. I shrug and study his light blue eyes. They're brighter than usual, with small flecks of gray around the outside.
"Thank you for staying with me, Peeta." He shakes his head, obviusly confused. "You stayed with me this whole time. Thank you."
"Always. . ." I smile softly and shut my eyes when our foreheads touch.
***
That night, while Peeta sleeps, I think of what will happen for us in the future. I know I'm not ready for children. But somehow, I don't feel as scared anymore. I glance at Peeta next to me. He's sound a sleep, but every few minutes his noses twitches, causing me to smile. How could I go on without him? How could I manage to survive? At that moment, I can't understand how Annie ever managed it; living without Finnick. Suddenly I remember Finn and I get it. But how could she not be terrified of having and raising him alone?
"Peeta. . ." I whisper. His eyes open and he squints at me, a groggy look on his face.
"Are you alright?" he mumbles, pushing himself up onto his elbows. I nod and rest my head on his chest.
"I think I want to have kids," I say, half-regretting saying it.
"What?" Peeta asks, suddenly wide awake.
"Not now, or anytime soon. But eventually, I think I do. I know how badly you want them. I can see it; the way your eyes light up around Finn. And if somehow you lost me, you would always have a part of me to love."
"You shouldn't think that way, Katniss." I sigh and nod, but I can tell he understands what I'm saying, or trying to say at least.
Eventually, we do drift off to sleep; Peeta does anyways. I can't seem to process the words that just fell out of my mouth. I start to unconsciously trick my mind into thinking that it wasn't really me who said any of that, until I finally drift off to sleep.