Chapter 52

Peeta

I can't find Katniss again after the Tribute Parade. I assume she just went back to her room, where I was, according to the Gamemakers, forbidden to go. I know she is distracted being here. I saw the look in her eye earlier; the sadness. I hate seeing her like that, but I know it couldn't have been any easier watching me go insane. I can't even imagine if I had to watch her in my place. What if she hated me? Yelled and screamed and tried to kill me? I don't know what I would do.

I wander around the halls for a while, trying to find something to distract me. I hadn't seen much of Johanna and Haymitch either, but I've only seen Katniss once since the Reaping. I think when the Games start they'll let us interact more often. It's hard to sleep alone at night. When I get nightmares, I have to force myself to believe that she's alright; that I'll see her soon.

I enter my room and look through drawers to see if there is anything interesting. I find nothing but a few controllers. I know one brings you food, but I'm not sure what the other does. I'm not in the mood for finding out. I shower and change into jeans and a black t-shirt, instead of my fairly formal attire from the parade.

I sit quietly on the bed for a while, unsure of what to do. What did I do when I was here last? The time before that? What did all of the mentors do with their endless time here? I know Haymitch drinks, but I can't do that. I can't let myself go like that.

I creep slowly out of the room and walk onto the elevator. I ride up to 12's floor and find a ladder I don't think anyone is supposed to know about. I take a deep breath when I stand on the roof. I'm about to move closer but I hear hushed voices. "I miss it so much. . ." a girl whimpers. I catch a few of Quimby, my District 12 tribute's, features from the moonlight. Striker stands beside her looking over the side of the building.

"So do I. This is so unfair!"

"It's called revenge, Striker."

"I know. But why did they do it? They could have gone back to their houses and restarted a peaceful life," he says.

"But they didn't."

"Obviously, Quimby."

They stare off the roof in silence for a while. I watch them from behind a tall post. The remind me of Katniss and I. I'm not exactly sure why. Everything here seems to be connected to something. All of these people remind me of something or someone. How could Haymitch do this? He's been doing it for 26 years now. I understand now why he drinks. It's to try and escape real life. To get away from this horrible, wretched world we're stuck in.

I ease myself back down the ladder, and turn. Katniss stands a few feet away from me. I jump back and gasp. "Don't scare me like that!" she hisses.

"I'm sorry," I say. Her eyes soften and she sighs. "The roof is already taken."

"Great," she mumbles.

"You couldn't sleep either?"

"Who can?" she asks.

"Tomorrow the tributes have training and then interviews later that night and then. . ." I trail off.

"We send these kids off to a nightmare come alive," she whispers.

"It's almost over," I say, but she shakes her head.

"No, Peeta. It's only just begun."