Chapter 118

Katniss

Somehow, I manage to climb back up the steps and stumble my way back to Peeta's room. He's awake, watching a few birds fly outside of his window. It's strange, seeing windows here. I'm so used to everything being underground. "Katniss, what's wrong?" he asks. Of course he noticed something was off.

"Nothing," I reply, staring at my feet.

"No, something is wrong. You've been crying," he says. I just shake my head and bite my lip. "Katniss, we've been together for years. I know when you've been crying." I know I can't just tell him that everything is okay. But I don't think I can tell him about Gale either. So, instead, I make up the best lie that I can.

"I was just worried about you," I say, moving over to him on the bed.

"You don't have to be. I'm okay. You had a concussion once too, so you know how it feels. I'm just happy you two are alright," he says, softly placing his hand on my stomach. I smile and kiss him, greatful that he didn't ask anymore questions.

A nurse with dark skin and curly hair comes through the door about a half hour later, telling me that I have to leave. At first I'm hesitant. I don't want to be alone, not now. Well, mostly, I don't want to leave Peeta alone. But he convinces me that it's okay. That he's just a few doors away from me and that I can come get him if I have a nightmare. I know I won't though. I remember how amazing sleep felt when I had a concussion years ago. Maybe it's different for him. Maybe I just wanted to sleep because I had nothing else to live for in the real world. I know he does. I see it in the way his eyes light up when he sees me. He loves me, and I love him. We are inseperable and unbreakable. Always.

So, I do make myself stand and follow the nurse out the door. My heart rate begins to speed up and my palms grow sweaty when we turn down a hallway. When I see it, I know why. She's leading me down the hallway we avoided earlier. It's the hallway of the room where I stayed in with Ruth and Annie. "No. . ." I whisper. "I can't stay here. Please, let me go back to Peeta. Please," I plead. My feet seem to be stuck to the floor. I'm not moving. The door to that room seems to loom over me, taunting me. "I can't. Please."

"I'm sorry, I can't let you go back. No visitors allowed during the night hours. You have to stay in your own living quarters," she says to me, with what looks like real sympathy in her eyes.

"Please. . ."I whisper. She doesn't budge, so I do what I've always done. I run. I turn my back from her and I run away; I run from her, from the room, from here. I need to get out. I'll go insane if I don't. I take shelter in a closet I find in a secluded area near the elevator. I hide behind a bin of old, gray District 13 uniforms. I take a deep breath and lean my head against the wall. I regret my actions right away, but still, I don't get up and leave this place. I know I'll make Peeta worry and that's the last thing I want to do, but sometimes I can't help it. I'm stubborn and I'm manipulative. I'm a Mockingjay with broken wings.

***

The next morning, when I can see light through the keyhole of the door, I decide to stand and find Peeta again. I'll apologize and he'll scold me for scaring him and it will be over. Instead, I find him talking to Haymitch, who sits on the visitor's chair in the corner. His eyes catch sight of me. "Well, look who finally decided to crawl out of bed. Or, supply closet, if you prefer that."

"I'm sorry," I mumble. Both of them know that I don't mean it.

"Whatever," Haymitch mumbles, gesturing for me to come in and sit. "You have some explaining to do."

"I'm sorry, okay. The nurse was going to make me sleep in the hallway I slept in with Ruth. She wouldn't let me go back, I-"

"Why didn't you just tell me Gale was missing?" Peeta asks, his arms crossed. I shoot a glare at Haymitch. He must have told him.

"Do I have to tell you everything?" I mumble.

"I'd like to know when something this important happens! You lied to me Katniss. You weren't worrying about me, you were worrying about Gale."

"This is why I didn't tell you. Because I knew you'd twist this into a completely different scenerio. Gale was my best friend for years, Peeta! I deserve to be upset if I'm told that he's probably dead."

"Well, he isn't," he says. I squint my eyes in confusion. "He's alive. They found him. He's here. Go see him."

"What. . ." I whisper. He tells me to go again, so I do. I'll fix things with Peeta later. Haymitch leads me to Gale's room. Sure enough, there he is. His face is cut up and his arm is in a sling, but other than that he looks okay. His family sees me before he does.

"Katniss!" Aster yells, clapping her hands together. I let myself smile a little, taking in the image of Gale. He's alive.

"Nice to see you, Catnip," he says, smiling. That's how I know all is well. I truly don't have to worry about conflict between us anymore. I finally feel the peace I've been longing for for so long.

"Nice to see you too, Gale." We smile politely at each other before I begin to leave. Gale's wife stops me and pulls me into a hug. I hesitate at first, but she whispers a soft thank you before turning back to Gale. I don't bother to ask her what for. Instead I smile at the happy family again and turn my back to them. I'm happy for Gale, as I hope he is for me. He deserves this. We both do.

_____________________

Hope you guys liked this chapter. I know there hasn't been much Everlark really, but I just needed to clear up the Gale-and-Katniss relationship first. These past few chapters have been about Katniss finally being able to be at peace with Gale.

Anyways, I know for sure who's idea I'm using for the reader's choice chapter. And I decided that it has to be split into 2-3 parts, so the next few chapters will be that specific idea. I've written the outlines for it and I'm super excited for you guys to read it. The idea is absolutely genious. So, once again, hope you enjoyed reading this. Be sure to vote!!

-booklover2019 <3