Chapter 142

Katniss

When I wake, Peeta lies asleep at my side. Almost immediately, I remember Buttercup and my heart jolts in grief. I shut my eyes and force myself to consider all of the good things in my life; Peeta, Willow, peace throughout the country. And the fact that the wedding between the two people who have been in my life for years now is taking place today. Today is the day that I've been considering and preparing myself for, for months. Today is the day I have the privilege in watching Haymitch and Effie join together in love. I can't say I'm not anxious, as the last wedding I attended was my own and I am Effie's maid of honor, though I haven't contributed much to planning the event. 

I roll on my side and trace Peeta's jawline with my finger. He stirs and groggily opens his eyes. "Good morning," I whisper softly. He smiles, pulls me tightly to his chest, and kisses the top of my head. 

"How do you feel?" he whispers. I hesitate before answering. I know it's silly, but whenever I think of Buttercup it feels like I've lost him all over again. 

"Better knowing that I have you here with me," I say and shut my eyes, my head beside his on the pillow. I hear the front door open downstairs and assume it to be Haymitch and Effie. I also assume that one or both of them is panicking about the wedding and is seeking advice from us, which I have never been good at; most likely Effie. I doubt I could provide any more advice than Haymitch did before the games, and I'm not sure if telling Effie to "stay alive" is a very promising option here. 

"I almost wish the wedding wasn't today. I just want to lie here with you all day," Peeta sighs. 

"Me too," I mumble. "But we should go downstairs before they come up here, don't you think?" Just as soon as I finish speaking, Haymitch and Effie barge through our bedroom door. 

I cover my head with the white plush comforter on my bed and grumble something about knocking. 

"What are you guys doing?" Haymitch says with a grin. I groan and attempt to bury myself as far as possible beneath the blankets and sheets. 

"How about next time you knock?" Peeta asks. I can't see him but I know he's laughing. 

"Why?" Haymitch asks, purposely trying to embarrass me. He's practically my father, and he knows that, but he certainly likes to resort to his old ways and try to irritate me. I can feel Peeta  laughing from beneath our blankets so I nudge him, a little bit harder than playfully, in the arm. In response, he pulls the comforter over my  my head and pulls me into his almost too-tight embrace. 

"Peeta!" I complain, but I can't hide my laughter and he knows it. 

"Oh please, Haymitch, don't try to embarrass the poor girl any further," Effie sighs. "Now, my  stylists will be at my house any minute, so I've sent Haymitch to get dressed over here with Peeta and Katniss, you'll come with me. It's bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding, you know." 

Effie goes on to explain the ridiculous myth about grooms and brides and weddings while I practically roll out of bed and go to the closet to get my dress. Effie has chosen a strapless, long lilac colored gown for me to wear. Honestly, I love it. It's simple and elegant, and it fits perfectly on me. When Effie told me that she chose a dress for me, I'll admit I was slightly terrified to see it. I was expecting a large pink tulle gown coated with jewels or other ridiculous trinkets, but really, it was far from my expectations. It matches Effie's white ball gown perfectly. Hers has tiny light purple jewels around the waist and she and I will both be carrying bouquets of purple orchids. 

After getting Willow from her crib, who will be staying with Delly for the night, I kiss Peeta goodbye and follow Effie to the house she shares with Haymitch. There, her stylists are already waiting for us. There are two vanities and chairs set up in the kitchen, beside a counter full of makeup and hair products. I specifically tell them that I don't want much of it and they reluctantly agree. A woman, who I assume to be in her thirties, begins to apply a thin layer of makeup to my face. She has strawberry colored hair, light gray eyes, long eyelashes, and freckles dotted across her nose and cheeks.