Wild Jewel - Chapter 22

Please COMMENT AND VOTE!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 22

Leodáin’s POV

I left the dwarf with a new sense of determination. I knew without a doubt that the Dwarf had had nothing to do with the attacks, but to have to explain it to my people was another matter entirely. If I told them what I overheard from the vampyres, it would be all too simple for them to drop the charges against the dwarf. However, for them to let him go I would surely doubt they will be so lenient. How would my people – after a long time of believing that such creatures did not exist and only to find out otherwise – simply release him back into the forest. They would go mad with fear, not understanding the aspects of these creatures.

Seeing Daniella after all these months proved that there was something mystical in the forest. Even if it means that she is part of it too – a faerie, as she’d told me. It seems impossible to believe it myself, yet seeing the power she demonstrated to me was proof enough that she was no longer human. So many years I had seen her, I had never noticed any of the physical features that she has now – maybe except the odd almond skin color that I knew neither Duke nor Duchess used to have. But her personality over our years of growing up seems to match. The way she always seemed uncomfortable in the tight clothing, and the countless times she would spend playing in the forest, talking to things that were not there. Or was there? Maybe I had been too arrogant and conceit to see the creatures that she was playing with all those years – and possibly the same tiny creatures called Sprites and Pixies that had spooked me the night I was sleeping.

But apart from her situation, I had seen enough in the forest to know that we humans are not alone on this Earth. Mystical creatures, whom we never knew would have existed, are walking around while we so carelessly believe that we are safe.

But who was this Safira? The dwarf had said that she was not a good person and that great corruption would become of us is she was alive. But who was she? Was she a hell bent vampyre like the ones I had seen? That seems most probable, considering the fact that she was requiring blood. But why would someone like that frighten someone like the dwarf who had countless times seen and fought vampyres. Who was she? And what was her purpose?

The dwarf had not given me such informative answers, but I could see his point, me knowing that would only result in me telling more humans, and we would not be able to stand against whatever it was that he feared. But couldn’t we? Who would know whether humans would be able to fight back? We could learn, we weren’t completely vulnerable.

After I leave the dwarf, I head directly to the throne room. It was late afternoon, and I knew my mother would be seeing some of the citizens of our city. She would hardly be able to listen to what I know as of this moment, but I know that Phillip would be nearby. I enter through the side entrance of the room, seeing a crowd of people lining up for the Queen, asking for advice or giving gifts.

I quickly scan the outskirts of the crowd and spot Phillip standing off to the side. I approach him in strides and he sees me before I reach him.

“Did he say anything?” He asks in a hushed tone.

“He was reluctant at first, but as I began to tell him of our adventures, he admitted to what he knew.”

“You didn’t tell him why we were out in the forest, did you?”

I shake my head. “No, I was careful, enough.”

He nods in approval, “So what did he tell you?”

I explain to him that his people knew it was vampyres, which was obvious enough, and then I tell him about his reaction to what we had overheard from the vampyres in the cave.