Wild Jewel - Chapter 24

Much quicker this time :) I hope you enjoy reading this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it :D PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE COMMENT, VOTE, LIKE OR TWEET!!!! I would really appreciate it if you did

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 24

Leodáin’s POV

I jump off Cyrus, not caring about the dwarf behind me. But then all I can do is stand there staring. The last time I saw Daniella, she had no idea who I was. The circumstances could not have possibly changed.

But there she was, running toward me, like as though all that had happened was just an uncomfortable dream.

She slams into my chest, and instinctively I circle my arms around her, crushing her to my chest and sniffing her flowered hair, trying to inhale her precious woodsy scent. Like moss and wild flowers.

“Leo…” she whispers against my chest, and I can hear the tears in her voice.

“Ella…” I whisper back. “You remember now, don’t you?” I pull her back to look into her eyes, cupping her face in my hands.

She nods through her tears, her smile somehow getting broader still. “Yes, yes,” she says, her foreign language gone again. “I remember everything.”

I kiss her forehead softly, before pulling her against my chest again.

“So this is the concern you were to be attending to?” the dwarf behind me mutters, “A faerie?”

“She is not a faerie,” I shoot him a look, “And yes, she was the reason I came here.”

Daniella gives a small moan, and I was sure it was for what I said.

“I think you’ll find, Prince,” he says, jumping off Cyrus, “that she is indeed not part of your people anymore.”

I refuse to agree with him openly, but I knew he was telling the truth. Daniella was no longer a human.

“It’s true.” Daniella mumbles against my chest, then she pulls back to look into my eyes again. “What I told you before…I am a faerie of the Glade. I have been one for most of my life. It was just until I was chased by those…vampyres, I was driven into this forest, and then I came across a mermaid who then bit me. If I was a human, I would have turned into a mermaid, but because I was a faerie, my genes cancelled out each other and I came out as a full faerie. I just don’t have my wings yet.”

It was the most I’d ever heard her talk about this. And yet, although it was completely absurd, I knew she was speaking the truth.

Then a thought seizes her, and she grabs my arms tightly. “My father?” she asks. “Is he alive?”

It had been a long time since I had thought of the Duke, and when I think of him now, I realize that Daniella would not have known of her father’s death. I give her a sorrowful look, placing my hands on her shoulders. “I’m sorry, Ella.”

New tears fill her eyes as she processes my words, but she nods meekly, most likely knowing that was his fate anyway. And I couldn’t help notice how she clutches her necklace tightly.

The dwarf, though keeping his distance, was studying the stallion with wide eyes. Then as I too look at the stallion, I realize it was indeed not a stallion, a single golden horn, spiraling from his forehead proves the magical aura from before. It was part of the Glade too. And it too was beautiful, in it’s own way, grazing in the grass and completely at ease with us around.

When I look to Daniella to ask about the creature, I find her no longer looking at me, but at the Dwarf, almost like as though she was confused by seeing him with me.