Wild Jewel - Chapter 28

Okay, the first climax is about to begin :D

Put on your seatbelts haha

(BTW, I will hopefully go through again for mistakes and further editing later)

Please Comment! (And Vote!)

NOTE: with the music, I wanted it to be played towards the end, but there is only one bit in it that I wanted - 1:05 to 2:34 :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 28

Before dawn the next morning, we are up and moving again. The early morning chill seems far more excessive due to the winter’s frost. I clutch my cloak closer to me still, the heat coursed from Lona’s power the day before long gone. The stares from the people around me have lessened, though I still feel it my duty to cover as much of my markings as possible. The sky is clear from all clouds and as the day wears on, the sun begins to warm up the cool air.

I ride alongside Leodáin for the most part, having been given a horse from the town before. She, Adonia, was much less than the unicorn I had ridden days before. The unicorn seemed to know what I was thinking and had an unbelievable sort of intelligence that human steeds could not. Though I could not argue, Adonia is as beautiful and noble a horse as I could have asked for.

Through the day, I keep unconsciously looking back towards the faerie’s carriage. She is sitting with her legs swining as the carriage moves along and has a look on her face as though of defeat, but is admiring the world around her for the last time. Someone had conjured up a large fur blanket to keep her warm, which she holds tightly around her obscuring almost all her markings. Her sandy hair lays softly around her face, having finally being washed by herself the night before. Elwendia, she said her name was. The Vanwa Forest? Was that another name for our Taurë? Or was there more faerie clans than I had once thought? Was Hérion’s clan only one of many?

Looking around at Elwendia for the sixth time that day, I make my decision to go and visit her. Turning abruptly away from Leodáin, I canter down towards her carriage and stop to turn around again, so as to ride beside her with ease.

Neither of us say anything for a while, but we both are so acutely aware of the other that we keep shifting our eyes to each other as though cautious as to what we might say.

“How’s your hand?” I say finally, trying to be conversational while really feeling the ease of speaking Elvish to another again.

She looks down at her hand with what looks like half a smile, “I’ll live, I promise you.”

We lapse into awkward silence again, neither of us saying anything, not wanting to think of our brief heated discussion the night before.

 “I’ve heard great tales of you, Princess Charushëela,” says Elwendia after what feels like a lifetime.

“Really?” I ask, trying not to sound too curious or startled, “And what did you hear?”

“Oh, great tales, indeed. The kind you hear where people sound so brave, so romantic and so unbelievable that surely they can’t be real. A princess who is both faerie and human.” Her voice layered with sarcasm. “One who has fallen in love with a human and has been separated to be with her own kind. Daniella Charushëela. And yet…you’ve chosen your allegiance to your humans. The same people who taught you to despise and kill your own kind…” she no longer sounded calm, but angry.

Rage flaring up, I finally turn to her. “Listen, you. Do not pretend you know anything about me or anything about my people and those I love. I have not chosen a side.”