Wild Jewel - Chapter 1

Chapter 1

When I was five years old, my father explained to me how I was to meet my future husband. He called him my 'betrothed'. Before he had even explained the meaning of that word, I managed to grimace at the sound of it.

We were to visit the Queen of Brotànïa, as my father had explained to me, her son, Prince Leodáin, was my 'betrothed'. Though my father was only a Duke with no wife, he had made an agreement with the Queen to seal her son's hand in marriage with mine, as the Queen was also without a spouse, she knew she needed to make the right decision for her son, the future King.

And my future husband. Uh.

We rode in the finest carriage from our home of Edenmora, through the forest to the kingdom of Brotànïa. As we rode through the forest, I couldn't help but notice my father's sudden stiff posture, almost like he was ready for an attack. I paid hardly any attention to it after a while as I watched the beauty of the forest go by.

My father had dressed me in my finest gown - the latest fashion, he recalled it. It was a blue gown with long, wide hanging sleeves. I also wore my fur lined coat to keep me from the abnormally cold weather for summer. I moved uncomfortably in my bodice and fiddled with my over-sized skirt.

"Stop fidgeting, Daniella, you must be looking your best for today; for you will be representing the future of our country," my father said.

"Sorry Father. I've never worn such a...fine dress before." I told him, glancing down at my gown to try to think of a proper thing to say. It wasn't even a lie.

"You will soon be used to it, my darling. As you grow older, you'll be wearing many more," he rambled on, ignoring my grimace at the thought of more tight bodices.

I loved the feeling of loose fabric as I would dance and run in the fringe of the trees. I would do this most afternoons, talking with pixies and sprites on rare occasions, though Father never knew about that part. He knew I had a passion for nature and the forest, though he never let me go further than a few feet in. I guess I understood it was best, as I was still young.

I looked longingly out to the forest again as we started to leave it behind us. I didn't miss how my father immediately relaxed, which made me look at him in confusion, but knew I shouldn't push for an answer. Instead I thought about the beautiful sprites and pixies that I could be playing with right now, if I didn't have to come here for the whole summer.

We traveled through the kingdom, and I watched the curious stares and hidden whispering mouths with vacant eyes. I knew they were all acknowledging their future Queen. I groaned at the thought. We pulled up to the front of the castle and I watched as the footmen opened the door and announced our names to the Queen.

"The Duke of Edenmora and the young Lady Daniella Charushëela," announced the man.

My father stepped out first and I reluctantly followed his lead and stepped out after him being helped down by one of the footmen. I thanked them shyly and then turned to meet my fate.

"Your majesty," my father stepped toward a middle-aged woman who I assumed was Queen Ava. The smile she held seemed to be her winning trademark. He kissed her hand and her smile widened.

"Dear Marcus. It's lovely to see you again," she replied with a sing-song voice, and I immediately liked her.

"And you as well," he smiled warmly, and then turned his attention to the boy next to her, and I did as well. "This must be young Prince Leodáin," he announced openly, and I thought I saw a wink to the Queen.

I frowned as I studied my future husband. His face was turned down in a scowl, and I assumed that he mustn't be all to happy to see me either. Not that I cared, he looked arrogant, annoying and pig-headed anyway, and unlike my judgment on the Queen, I immediately didn't like him.