Wild Jewel - Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"We're going to need to blindfold you," said Arielle.

We were still under the tree-home, and time seemed to be slipping away each minute they argued over if it was necessary for me to go. Ninetta didn't contribute, she stood by me as Delius and Arielle exchanged points of view. Eventually they both had agreed on taking me to the Queen, not that I was exactly excited for it. I was terrified.

"What for?" I whispered.

"We can't let you know where we are exactly..." said Delius, "not until we know you're not a spy or something."

"I'm not a spy," I told them firmly.

No one answered my comment. Arielle turned me around and placed a piece of cloth over my eyes, blocking out all my sight.

"We're going to have to carry you as well..." Delius told me, and I didn't argue back. He picked me up easily and began walking, and I assumed the others were with us.

The same creaking of wood, like as though it was a door, sounded again, and closed once again behind us. And then we were off. I wondered again whether we were running, but this time, there was no way I could look, so I sat delicately, enjoying the small breeze on my skin. The breeze stopped once more, and I assumed we were back to walking pace. Soon enough, the sounds of conversations carried over to us, again I could not recognize the language.

Delius put me on my feet and placed a hand on my shoulder to guide me. Another hand came on my other shoulder, and I assumed it was Arielle guiding me like Delius. I walked uncertainly, but tried to keep an open mind as to where I was walking.

All so suddenly, the voices died down into an uncomfortable silence, and my hair rose on end tensely, cowering into Delius' grasp. The voices started again, though in hushed whispers, making me realize they were cautious about my being there.

I could feel the other two around me still, but it was uncomfortable feeling the stares on me, and imagining what they would be thinking of me. Would they kill me? An outsider? Was I their enemy?

A female voice carried out from in front of us, in the same foreign language that I heard before. We immediately stopped walking when the voice sounded to us, the surrounding people's voices around us had completely stopped. I heard Delius answer the voice in the same tongue.

A few more exchanges between Arielle, Delius and the other female voice continued, and I knew it would be about me.

My hand was lifted by another, and a small pin prick struck my finger, feeling blood drawn from the tiny wound and I bit my lip suppressing a loud wince of pain. Suddenly, my blindfold was withdrawn from my eyes, and my sight sunk into my eyes. I didn't have time to look around, as the voice spoke to me.

"Who are you?" said the female voice, though in my language, she still had the foreign accent.

I looked at her in the eyes, stunned by the familiarly in them. They were the same warm emerald green eyes as mine. Disorientation sunk into me, as I felt as though I was looking into a mirror. Her hair was soft brown in color, in long spiral curls to her waist, her skin the color of almonds and her face completely flawless. Her dress detailed in gold shimmer material, and rimmed in gold and silver beaded designs. Two big and marvelous silvery, and almost transparent, wings sprouted from her back, resembling a cross between a butterfly and a dragonfly and her ears were pointed just like the others.

"I...I...I don't know," I replied honestly after a long moment of confusion.

"You don't know?" She asked quizzically.