Wild Jewel - Chapter 30

Here we go! Enjoy, and don't forget to vote and comment! :) Would love some feedback

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 30

We arrive at the gates of Brotànïa two days after our mountain battle. I’d been reluctant to return at first, seeing as how hospitable the people of Dúiche had been to Elwendia, Annatar and many others, I’d doubted they would take my appearance so lightly. Nevertheless, Leodáin assured me that he would not let any harm come to me, and upon seeing my appearance and what I’d had to say, it would surely begin to persuade the kingdom to unite and act fast against the onslaught of Safira’s armies.

Elwendia had taken off during the night after our battle, mostly healed, but not before she came to me first. I’d been slipping in and out of sleep, being awakened by nightmares of the dead bodies of my loved ones, when she approached me.

Her hand stifles any sounds from my mouth, and I snap open my eyes to see her put a finger to her lips in hush. “Shh, come with me,” she beckons.

A quick glance over at Leodáin’s sleeping body, hearing his deep even breathing, lets me know that I could slip away without detection.

The chilly evening breeze lashes against my face as I step out of our makeshift shelter, but I ignore it fiercely, holding my cloak tight against my skin, and follow after Elwendia. She’d recovered at a remarkably fast pace, and I assume it was to do with how quickly we’d acted. That and the faerie genes would have quickened her healing progress. I knew she’d still have the scar for a long time yet, but she was definitely showing signs of not letting it slow her down.

“Where are we going?” I ask her as she leads me in through the trees, the fires from the camp slowly disappearing from view. After our recent endeavor with saving her life, I knew I had nothing to fear from her, but I was still curious as to her actions.

“I don’t want us to be interrupted. Don’t worry, no harm will come to you,” she assures me.

I start, putting it together. “You’re leaving, aren’t you?”

She doesn’t say anything, but I take it as answer enough.

Finally after only a minute of walking, we both stop and she turns to me, her face impassive.

“My purpose is no longer with you,” she tells me. “I must go back to my people and warn them of what is to come.”

I look at her for a while before slowly nodding. I knew she’d run out on us, but the way she said this made me wonder if there was some ulterior motive to her coming back.

“I would strongly urge you to leave before you could get yourself into anymore danger with the humans, and continue to prepare with your own people. But I’m sure you’d tell me otherwise.”

“You’re right about that,” I tell her, smiling.

“One last thing then,” she says, reaching into her satchel around her waist. She then pulls out an object which she’d covered in a thick cloth. Pulling away the cloth for only a moment, she reveals the same beautiful and mystical crystal orb in which I’d found in the Dwarf city. Elwendia then, careful not to touch its surface, replaces the cloth so it is covered and hands it to me. I’d almost all but forgotten about the orb, considering the following events of battle – but only almost. It was a little hard to put away from your mind such visions as the death of your loved ones. Nevertheless, I hold onto the clothed orb with a feeling as though it was contaminated.