Wild Jewel - Chapter 16

Sorry for the long wait. Doing exams at the moment and this was quite a long chapter for me to write.

Please comment & vote!

~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 16

Leodáin's POV

"Your highness," the high counselor, William, announces, "Your mother wishes to speak with you in the throne room."

"Very well, then," I answer with a grimace, heading in the familiar direction he had told me.

As I neared the throne room, I heard voices, in a giddy polite conversation, and enter through the doors, and I finally see the commotion. My mother, rather than sitting, was standing with two other women, one younger and the other older, and a man, admiring the fine frescoes from where they stood, and by the look of their grand, though over the top, clothing, I assumed they were of high rank.

"Ah, there you are, my son." My mother says gleefully. "May I introduce the Duke and Duchess of Berylia."

"My Prince, it is indeed a pleasure." the Duchess speaks out of turn, curtsying, and without waiting for my reply, she continues, "This is my daughter, Mahlita Frayclese."

My eyes drifts to the young blonde girl next to her, though she was clearly trying to compose herself in the proper etiquette, her cheeks were brightly colored, and I realize she found this situation just as uncomfortable and embarrassing as I did.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," My tone sounded as though I felt anything but.

My first reaction was to immediately hate her for trying to replace Daniella, as I immediately assumed that was their intention. Though as I realize she felt quite the discomfort, I begin to pity her over her mother. What was it about parents that felt they had to plan their own children's futures for them? Sometimes it nearly gets you killed.

My second reaction to her was the urge to give her a decent meal. She was no less than skin and bones. Regardless, Mahlita did not hold the attraction I felt for Daniella, though she still had some beauty about her. Deep set blue eyes, pearl white skin, soft yellow hair, all of this seeming to be the complete opposite for Daniella, yet none of her looks compared to her figure. I could not seem to look away, but her slim physique seemed to exemplify her almost boney appearance. She could be much better off if she had a much less angrier husband than I could be for her.

I hadn't realized that the Duchess was still talking with me, and I gave her an impatient gaze, and in turn she must have realized I had not listened to her speech, giving me an exasperated gaze. I stifle a grin at her expense, and instead I give my attention to my mother.

"Phillip and I are going for the hunt in the forest, and I daresay I won't be back for a couple of days."

She gives me a startled look. "Oh...Well, couldn't it wait for a few more days, even tomorrow at least?"

I shake my head. "No, if we don't leave this afternoon, we'll miss the hunting season." And tonight's full moon. Not that she needed to know of it, and hunting seemed the perfect excuse.

"But, Leodáin, we have our guests. You must stay for dinner." She seems almost pleading.

"I can't mother." Now I was impatient.

"Now, now, Leodáin. You know very well that the hunting season won't end for another month. There is no reason as to why you cannot postpone your arrangement until at least tomorrow."

I couldn't seem to argue to that. Not unless I told her the truth. But I couldn't, there was no way around it. I would have to wait until the next full moon - which was almost an entire month away. I couldn't wait that long, not after my lengthy wait already.