Chapter 6

Shadow's P.O.V.
I can't believe what I've done. I lost my best friend for putting all my insecurities on Sonic, who probably hates me now.

I'm so stupid! So blind! So... So... Heartless...

It hurt me a lot to hear Sonic call me heartless... I've been called that so many times, at the Ark, at G.U.N., or anywhere I go. Usually, it doesn't affect me, but when he said it... It hurt... A lot...

I stared at them as they hugged, making my heart ache as I saw Rouge's expression. She looked betrayed and hurt. I can't blame her, I did betray her, I also ruined every possibility of me and Sonic being together. This was what I always wanted... Why does it hurt so much...?

I sighed quietly and shook my head, trying to get rid of these thoughts, but it wasn't working, so I looked at them. "We should go to sleep. The faster we finish the mission, the better." I said emotionlessly, pushing every other emotion away. It was the only thing I could think of, the only thing that I mastered all those years.

"Yeah... You're right." Sonic mumbled and slowly stood up, I thought he was going to climb the tree again, but he instead got in the sleeping bag after he made sure Rouge was okay.

I wanted to go to her and apologize, that I didn't mean it, but now it's too late.

I quietly climbed up the tree, laid on the same branch and immediately fell asleep, hoping that tomorrow was going to be better.

When I woke up, no one was awake yet, only Omega, who was awake the whole night scanning the place in case the enemy finds us or attacks. I groaned when I saw Sonic in the sleeping bag, I was hoping that I'd find him on the top branch, or holding my hand.

I looked down at my hand and lowered my ears. Why did do that...?

His hand was so delicate, so gentle, so...

I messed up!!

Sonic's P.O.V.
I woke up early in the morning, the awkwardness of laying on the ground in an old sleeping bag didn't help much with the stress that won't leave me alone.

First, Rouge had a secret girlfriend and she's in jail. Second, now I know that Shadow's homophobic and I won't ever have the slightest of chances with him.

Such a great day.

I looked over at the tree that Shadow was laying on, he was looking at his hand with his ears lowered and regret splattered all over his face.

This is odd, why is he like that? He never has any regrets, or at least that's what he says, but he surely has never shown any emotions other than hatred towards others, especially me.

I stayed quiet as I looked at him, trying to read his facial expressions, but it was too hard to read. He was angry, sad, hurt, or something like that.

As I continued to try to understand him, I noticed that he was looking at the hand that I was holding.

I lowered my ears slightly and lightly blushed, could he be thinking about me...? Did he do all that to defend himself...? Was he so mad about it because he knew he was breaking the law...?

Nah. He hates me.

He's probably regretting saying these words in front of Rouge. Yeah, that's it.

But... What if he's angry for me for accepting to help in the mission? I was the reason Shadow snapped and said all that in front of Rouge, if it wasn't for me, now they wouldn't have fought, everything would've been just fine.

I should talk to Rouge, see what she thinks about it since now I know that I can trust her.

But what if she's just acting to get me to think that she understands my problems? What if I told her everything and she says it to everyone?

...

I made my decision!

I'll keep mouth shut...