Chapter 5

Sonic's P.O.V.
I dropped my ears and stayed still, praying that he won't beat me to death, when he stopped and let go of my hand. I sighed quietly in relief and closed my eyes then rested back on the tree.

"Thank chaos..." I mumbled quietly and opened my eyes then yelped when I saw Shadow in front of me. "Sh-Shad...?" I smiled sheepishly and tried to take a step back, but the tree was in the way.

"Are you stupid?" He growled lowly but it had so much hatred in it that made my heart shatter.

"I'm sorry...! I didn't-" I tried to defend myself but he cut me off.

"You know that you're breaking the law if you're attracted to men!!" He growled even louder and raised his hand ready to punch me, I looked down and closed my eyes tightly waiting for him to hit me.

"What the hell Shadow!?" I looked over to Rouge when I heard her shout. "What do you think you're doing?!" She walked to Shadow growling.

"None of your business Bat!" Shadow growled. "He deserves it." He mumbled and swung his arm at me, but Rouge quickly kicked it away.

"He WHAT?!" She shouted in disbelief. "How dare you?! I thought you were better than that! Everyone can love whoever they want!" She growled as she walked closer to Shadow. "You should respect those who are brave enough to tell the whole town that they are what they all hate the most! A Mobian confessed it and they're a hero to many people! You should be ashamed of yourself you... Y-you jerk!!" She panted softly as tears appeared in her eyes, this must be a sensitive topic for her.

I slowly walked to her and held her hand. "It's okay Rouge... I-" I was cut off again.

"No, it's not okay!" Rouge sobbed softly. "That Mobian was Wave...!" She mumbled and wiped her tears.

I glanced at Shadow and saw him with his ears dropped and a shocked expression on his face. My heart was broken already at what he said, but Rouge's break down was far more important.

"Was Wave close to you...?" I asked softly as I rubbed her back, trying to calm her down.

Rouge shook her head and pushed me away. "I don't want to talk about it with Shadow listening." She mumbled and walked away.

I glared at Shadow as I let a tear out then followed Rouge. "Do you want to talk to me? I promise I won't judge." I walked to her side and smiled slightly.

She smiled back and slowly nodded. "Y-yes... I need someone to talk to..." She walked to the fire and sat down next to it.

I sat down next to her but keeping my distance. "Was Wave close to you...?" I hesitantly asked as I looked at her.

Rouge nodded and lowered her ears. "She's... My girlfriend..." She mumbled, looking at the fire with pain visible in her eyes.

I dropped my ears and looked at her in shock. "I... I'm so sorry Rouge... I-" Rouge cut me off once again.

"It's okay. There's nothing you can do..." She looked at me with more tears appearing on her eyes. "Th-they're going to..." She tried to talk as her voice broke. "They... Might... Execute her..."

I gasped and looked at Shadow, who had an emotionless expression as he leaned back on the tree. I couldn't take it anymore and growled at him. "How can you be so heartless!? She's going to lose someone she cares about!" I groaned and rubbed my face trying to calm down. "I thought we lived in the 21st century..." I said lowly and laid down on the grass then remembered. I'm a prince. I can change everything.

"Rouge! I can get Wave out of jail!" I said excitedly and quickly sat up, ignoring Shadow's strange looks. "I can stop this nonsense that's blinded everyone." I glared at Shadow on the last word.

"But how? You might be their hero, but the government has more power than you." Rouge looked at me with a bit of hope in her eyes.

"I can't say yet. But I promise, when we get back from the mission, I'll do everything I can to stop this madness." I smiled at her as I tried to reassure her.

"Thank you, Hun." Rouge smiled and hugged me tightly. "I hope you'll find a solution to this."

I smiled softly and hugged back, feeling proud of myself for once, I made Rouge happy after her break down, I learned that she has a similar problem, but hers escalated a lot.

I'm going to stop this. And fast.