Studying distraction pt.4

I was walking away from my despair, away from my problems and away from the hell that had taken up way too much of my life. I was walking away from school. Finally, after a whole year of torture, we were free to embark on the adventure of summer, feeling the sticky heat spread across our faces and our sunburn slowly crawl across our skin.

Personally, I didn't have much planned except for spending two weeks in Italy with my parents, but I liked it that way because it gave me a whole lot of freedom to do things that I couldn't if I had things going on.

I was just turning the corner when I heard a sharp honk, making me jump quite inelegantly in the air, like a sloth in a ballet leotard. My mom sat in our car, a grin plastered on her face behind her grandmother sunglasses. I rolled my eyes playfully but hopped into the too warm interior anyways.

"There's my vacation girl!" My mom exclaimed, wrapping me in a stifling hug and kissing the top of my head.

"Hola." I smiled, saying the word in the worst accent I could manage. She laughed and cranked up the air conditioning a bit, much to my relief.

"So," She began. "What do you want to do? Get a burger at Mac Donald's?"

I was just about to reply when I felt my phone buzz in my pocket.

"One sec..." I murmured, grabbing the device and checking the screen. It was from Aidan.

Actor dude: At some point in the summer do you wanna hang out?

I briefly forgot how to breathe, which caused me to choke on air, something that for some reason no one else seems to do except me. My mom glanced at me strangely, probably wondering how she managed to raise such a maniacal child, but she soon spun back around to look at the road like a good driver would do. Shame she was going 10mph over the speed limit.

I typed back a message quickly, accepting his request, before turning to my mom and letting out a massive grin.

"Mac Donald's would be great."

*Time skip brought to you by my lazy ass*

I lay on my bed, staring at the phone in my hands and the message on my screen. He had invited me to hang out, over summer vacation, out of his own free will. It wasn't a secret to me that I had started to develop a crush on Aidan, and as much as I tried to deny it, it just kept coming back, prodding at my mind like an annoying stick of pain saying he will never, never be yours. Crushes suck. It was also not news to anyone at our school that almost every female on the premises was utterly obsessed with the dude, making it even harder for me to get over him, as my competitiveness screamed at me to get to him before any of the other girls did. Anyways, there I was, overthinking everything, as usual.

"Mom!" I screamed downstairs. "Can I see Aidan at some point this summer?"

"Aidan?" She shouted back. "Oh yes, of course. He was very nice and could teach you a bit or two about the environment when you guys meet up."

I took that as a yes.

I opened up Whatsapp and wrote a quick message to him, trying not to seem over eager, which, looking back on some of my old texts with other friends, I realized I could seem.

Me: Around when do you want to meet? My Mom likes to know things in advance...

Actor dude: I don't mind. Next Saturday maybe? We can always see each other more that once.

I thought that summer break would dull my liking for him, but I suppose it was only going to increase it.

A/N: srry it was so short omg