Ch. 32 Snow Children Part 4 - Jennie

I'm sorry to bore you with a little more backstory but this is important for the plot and the feels!! Enjoy!! Love ya!! ❤❤

~~~
17 years ago
~~~

"I would advise you to tell the other children to be cautious around him. He's so young yet has so much energy, it's dangerous."

"That child needs to be disciplined! He may only be five but they need to be taught from a young age."

"A barbaric child, really."

"He almost bit the other children!"

For a five-year-old to hear all these bad comments adults had to say about him, it was beyond rude and inconsiderate. But for this particular five-year-old, he had known nothing but hate towards him for his whole, short life so far.

Granted, he wasn't shouted at with discriminating, derogatory words anymore from humans. But now adult Shifters who visited the orphanage scolded him like a delinquent, problem child... and he's only five-years-old for Ariel's sake!

"His name is Kim Taehyung," the other children told the newest addition to the orphanage. The older ones have warned the five-year-old girl to stay away from him. "He's young but he doesn't like people. He'll bite you if you get close."

The new girl gasped, horrified, "Really? That's mean!" Then her expression softened when she looked at him again in his corner. "But he looks lonely."

"Trust me, he gets annoyed easily and will bite your hand off," an older girl bared his teeth to mock the action. "He's a tiger, after all. Come on, little one, he can probably hear us and might jump any second."

The little girl, not knowing any better, followed the other kids out and played with them while ignoring the tiger boy like she was told to. But throughout her first month, she would sneak glances at him on the few occasions he was out of his room. It was like the little boy was forever encased in his personal sphere of icy cold air. That's why no one was able to go near him, not without feeling the intensity of the chilling air from such a small boy.

That is, until now.

This new girl just happened to be the only one who could withstand his cold aura.

One day, while the other children were playing outside in the snow, the little girl went up to the cold little boy who was in the library, scribbling doodles in his notebook. He didn't notice her approaching until she let out a cheerful, high-pitched, "Hiya!", which startled him. But what jolted him in his seat was how close the girl was to him, just standing about a meter away.

Oblivious to his shock, she stuck her hand out and smiled, "You're Taehyung, right? My name is Jennie."

Taehyung looked between her hand and her unwavering grin, utterly confused. Blinking twice, three times, five times, he turned back to his sketchbook and ignored her.

Jennie slowly let her hand drop at the same rate she could feel her confidence drop. She twisted her hands nervously and thought maybe she should listen to the other kids after all. But one look at the lonely boy's face and she stood straight with resolute again.

"What are you drawing?" She asked while taking a seat next to him. "Can I see?"

In his head, Taehyung was baffled by how weird this girl was. When he begrudgingly turned to face her, he almost yelped that she was sitting next to him. And even more strange, she was looking at him with a smile still and not peering over to his sketchbook, like the other nosy kids.