Ch. 2 That Chilly Breeze

"Shape up, my Jen-bear! Or an actual bear might just get you." Jason was already at the top of the slope while the tired brunette was dragging her feet along, calves already burning from the half an hour hike up and down this forest.

Jennie groaned, "You know, a real gentleman would slow down and lend the girl his hand." She stuck out her hand expectedly, "Where's my lending hand, oh so-called boyfriend?"

Jason only crossed his arms and looked down the slope at her with a cocky smirk, "Honey, you're the one who suggested this."

"Yes, but I didn't think the woods would be this hilly," she whined but decided to save her breath so she could trek up the rocky slope. Thankfully Jason actually waited for her until she reached him, who pointed at his face warningly, "Ungrateful ass, be prepared when we get to my lake. My arms may suddenly spazz out for who-knows-what reason."

"Oohh I'm scared of my Jen-bear," he mocked her. "And it's not your lake."

"In my mind, yes it is." Since that was the end of their couple banter, they intertwined hands and hiked to their destination.

They're heading to this small lake that's not officially called anything. But when Jennie was researching for nature places to visit on this vacation, this big hiking park, The Snow Park, caught her attention with its simple name. An image of its lake on the computer was enough to bring forth a flashback with such vivid scenery that she could almost hear the breeze blowing above the water. Since the feeling was short-lived, this park went straight to the top of her priority list of places to visit.

After the lengthy trek up the mountains in comfortable silence to enjoy the peaceful nature, they reached the so-called Jennie's lake. To anybody, they would just see this as a normal watering hole that's not ugly but not breathtakingly beautiful either.

But to Jennie, the way the cold breeze brushed over the crystal clear surface of the water and blew at her face gave her a light feeling of serenity. Again, she's left with the feeling of wanting more, wanting a stronger breeze with that cooling sensation. There's no flashback yet but there was a feeling of familiarity like she's been here before, or at least something very similar. This place wasn't much but...it felt...comfortable in a homey way.

"Jennie," a light tug on her arm snapped her out of her daze. Jason smiled, "Wow, this place really does have an effect on you. That was the third time I called you."

Jennie barely glanced at Jason before she spotted a tall rock ledge that jutted over the water out of the corner of her eye. "Higher," she said breathlessly. As if in a hypnotized trance, her body immediately walked towards that direction.

"Careful Jen!" Jason called after her but she was already fast ahead.

In all honesty, Jennie has never been much of a rock climber, just hiking sometimes. But as one foot confidently stepped in front of another and her hands didn't hesitate once as it gripped on a rock to hold, it felt so excitingly natural to the city girl. No sense of nervousness, just decisiveness.

At the top, the fall breeze was stronger and colder. The daring girl stood right at the very edge of the ledge with no fear. She closed her eyes to heighten her senses to really feel the chilly, crisp air digging into her skin.

When Jennie opened her eyes, she was surprised to see the night sky...

"Don't be afraid, Nini... Let it flow... I'm right here."

The hard crunch of cold snow was heard... and everything began to feel warm...

"AH!" Her knees suddenly gave out on her and crashed onto the hard rock as a wave of exhaustion followed by an unknown pain. She could barely make out Jason coming to her side as her vision began to blur and her ears rung. She was gasping for air at this point.