Chapter 1

I jump side to side, my shoes slapping the mat with each jump. I keep my fist close to my face waiting for my opponent/trainer to get back up after the hard punch I just gave him. He steadies himself to his feet and we begin to circle around the mat, our eyes only on each other.

I make the first move and rush forward, swinging for an uppercut. This time he avoids it. He throws two punches, I duck down and then right, his fist just misses my face. I step right as a distraction and quickly kick at his knee but he steps back.

I can't get a hit on him anymore, I was doing perfect earlier.

I try again out of anger, swiping my foot, he jumps. I swing, he dodges. I huff under my breath and go for another punch. He dodges and swiftly punches me in the mouth. My head falls back and I stumble a couple of steps but don't fall.

"Shit." I touch my finger to my bottom lip and not only taste the blood but I see it on my fingertip. He obviously busted my lip open but this wouldn't be the first time.

"Don't get cocky in a fight." Nate, my trainer tells me. I look up at him and roll my eyes.

Nate was hired by my father to be my personal trainer, probably the only person not in our pack to know I'm on this earth. Why it's like this I have no idea. Nate and I train about three to four times a week. One of those days is a workout day, the rest are fighting lessons and actual fighting. Father says I need to be "Fit" in case we encounter rogues again. That I need to be stronger, but it's just some bullshit. I could take those rogues down in seconds.

I roll my neck, ready to go again when the door swings open and one of the Zeta guards barges through the door. He's out of breath but has something to say. Nate and I wait for him to spit out whatever the hell he needs. "Zapphire, Shawn wants you."

I don't hold back the groan that leaves my mouth almost immediately. Of course he wants me. What the hell have I done wrong this time? I don't reply to the guard and just head his way. "Till next time." I look over my shoulder and wink at Nate.

"I'll see you next week, Z." He replies, shaking his head. Nate is a very muscular man, is he attractive, yes? Is he my type? No, but I don't know what my type is either. Could I sleep with him? For sure, but I haven't. Father would kill me if he found out so what is the point.

"As always!" I shout as I walk through the door. I have nowhere else to be or go anyways.

The guard, whose name I do not know nor do I care to know walks me past the living room and kitchen, and to the garage door. "He's angry." The man leans and whispers in my ear. I shake my head, when is he not? I nod to the guard and open the door. Leaning against the only car in this garage is my brother and also the Alpha of our pack, Shawn.

His arms are crossed against his chest and he is tapping his left foot, something he does when he is angry. "Do you want to explain to me why one of my men found a dead body in the woods? That same body that has now been identified as a rogue." Shawn raises his eyebrows and then looks down and to his right.

On the concrete ground of our garage lies the dead body... that I may have forgotten about. Oops. "Yeah..." I snap and point at it, "I uh I did that, yeah." I have no problem admitting to what I did.

Shawn huffs and rubs his forehead with his hand. Shawn and I are two years apart, I am the older one, which should have made me next in line after my father but that never happened. Father didn't allow it because "I'm not ready." yet again some more bullshit that leaves his mouth.

"Have you absolutely lost your mind, Zapphire! We were trying to keep a low profile and now this!" My brother, Shawn yells and points down at the dead body at our feet. He runs his fingers through his black hair and turns his back to me. Shawn and I got our black hair from my father. I put silver highlights in my mine to be just a little bit different from the assholes in my life. Father hates it but I think mom would have loved it.