*Chapter 1*

"Chanel! Get up! It's your first day at your new school!" I heard my mom yell from the stairs. I'm nervous. I'm the new kid. I never thought this would happen to me. At my old school in Oakland, I was the kid that everyone loved, from teachers to students. I was what some people called "the cool nerd", I got good grades in class and the teachers loved me, but I fit in with every group of kids, you know the nerds, the sport jocks, the cool kids, everyone. I was the basketball and volleyball star and I was a National Junior Honor Society Member. But that's all about to change.

I turned on the music on my iPod as I got ready for school. I went into the bathroom and did my daily hygiene and went downstairs to eat breakfast. My mom, dad, and little brother stopped stuffing their faces and stared at me.

"Sweetie, why aren't you dressed for school?" My father asked.

"I can't get anything on my clothes, dad." I'm the new kid for crying out loud, I gotta make a first impression.

"Well hurry up and eat so you can get dressed," I heard my mother say, "It's not good being late on your first day either."

Right when she said that my brother, Cameron, spilled syrup on his favorite cargo shorts. "See, Cam," I chuckled, "You can learn from me one day." He gave me a death glare like I'm the one that spilled maple syrup on his clothes.

"Go upstairs and change your shorts before you miss your bus!" I heard my mother's Spanish accent get thicker. She always had one but it gets a bit heavier when she is angry or irritated.

I sat down and ate, then sped upstairs to get dressed. I put on my pink Hollister shirt, some blue skinny jeans, and my hot pink chucks. put my hair in a tight ponytail and slipped on a couple of silver bracelets. I grabbed my jacket and book bag, kissed my parents on the cheeks and headed out the door. I have to walk to school. It's only a couple blocks down.

I plugged my headphones in my iPod and listened to m favorite song, "Ready or not, here I come, where you at? The night is young, in the crowd, the music's loud but I will find you!" I sung loudly as I walked down the sidewalk. I observed the city I was strolling. I never thought I would live in Los Angeles. It's so wonderful, the cars, the buildings, everything. It was amazing.

I continued back to my music. I saw the school in view. "Oh mierda," (oh crap) I mumbled. I speak Spanish sometimes when I'm nervous. I stopped in front of the doors of the huge school. I took a deep breath. "Aqui voy," (Here I go)