Chapter 6

Alex took her bags and marched up the shallow stones to huge wooden doors.  They were within a Gothic arch, almost black with age and the bolts and nuts were quite medieval.  She raised the iron ring and knocked.  The sound echoed despairingly within.   But no one was coming.  It was getting dark and cold now.  She is still outside the old castle.  Why anyone chose to live in this desolate place was beyond her understanding.  She raised the iron ring to knock once more but nobody seemed to hear her.  No one was home.

She gazes at her netbook after copying all the paragraphs that she has written on her notes.  She bites her lower lip and pushed her reading glasses in place as she studies the words in her manuscript.  The glitter on her hand catches her attention.  She shifts her gaze to it and smile.  She needs to turn this situation to her advantage.  She smiles wickedly as she touches the glitter on her band.

Hindi na niya kailangan mangupahan ng kwarto.  Wala na rin siyang trabaho at perang pambayad ng renta.  Ayaw niyang tumuloy sa bahay ng ate niya.  Kahit sinabi nito na pwede siyang tumira doon.  Hindi siya komportable sa asawa ng ate niya.  Hindi rin niya gustong bumalik sa pugad ng mga tiyahin niya.  Mas gugustuhin pa niyang tumira sa kalye kaysa tiisin ang bruhang ugali ng tiyahin niya.  All she needs is a shelter and a place to write her book.  She will live in his house—for a time being.  The idea of being married to Ivo dela Rosa can protect her against the insults she might receive from her relatives.  Pwede sana siya tumira sa bahay nina Xavina pero makakaistorbo lang siya doon.  The safest place for her to live is in her husband’s lair.  Though it is a revolting thought and cheating behind Kristoff’s back, it leaves her no choice.  It is the only way.

She still longs for Kristoff and wished she were married to him instead of someone she barely knows.  But how can she tell him about this incident?  This news will break them apart.  She loves him dearly and wants to be with him forever.  But Mr. Ivo dela Rosa ruins it.  He married her while she was unconscious.  He took advantage of her while she was delirious.  Now, there will be hell to pay, Ivo dela Rosa.  Just wait and see…

She vaguely remember how Ivo dela Rosa look like.  She rarely gives attention to guys like him.  Bad boys are big turn off for her.  Her ideal man is just simple.  He must have boyish charms and loyal.  Someone like Kristoff.  She feels guilty as she gazes at the glitter on her stretched hand.  Then she feels a vibration from her pocket.  It is Xavina.

“Hello?”

“Flight details please.  Susunduin ka namin ni kuya.”

“Okay,” she replies after letting out a sigh.

“What is the matter?  Are you all right?  Have you seen your mama?”

“No.  Nagkasakit ako.  Kailangan ko na rin bumalik kasi limited lang ang nasa visa ko.  I also need to finish the first half of my manuscript.”  And she needs to surprise someone…