Chapter 23

10-11-14

OATES MY GOATS IT HAS BEEN SOOOOOO LONG SINCE I LAST UPDATED THIS STORY! I know that I said that I wouldn't be updating until I finished one of the other books but guys, I missed Maddy and Justin too much. Not only that, but I left the last chapter off at a really mean cliffhanger and I felt sooo bad.

This book is no longer on hold, but you'll notice that it says slow updates. That means that I'm still not going to be focusing on this story a lot until my other ones are finished, but I will work on it when I have time.

I really hope that you guys can forgive me for taking to long to update and that you like this chapter! <3 I'll try to post the next one sometime this month because I don't want to make you guys wait so long.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maddy’s POV

                The elder backed up a bit and then his eyes focused on Ashley, Andy, Daniel, and Xavier. He motioned for them to back up and they did.

                “You may not interfere during this process. If you so much as take a step toward them, you will be taken out of the room and will remain outside until everything is over. Do you understand?” They all hesitated and then nodded. Andy leaned back against Xavier’s chest and Xavier wrapped his arms around his waist protectively.

                I took a deep breath and kept my eyes on the man as he looked back to me. He met my gaze for a moment before motioning to the guards across the room. They nodded and silently left the room, coming back a moment later. One of them was carrying the casket with Justin in it. There was another guy helping him with it, and the other guard had a small wooden box in his hands. I bit my lip hard and tried to keep my eyes away from the casket.

                The small box was beautiful. It was shiny and looked very smooth, with hand carved pictures of wolves of all shapes and sizes. The guy held it so it was facing us.

                The elder lifted the lid and very carefully reached inside, taking out a thin, silvery string. It was mesmerizing, shimmering softly in the light. I blinked when the guard closed the box and went to stand by the door once again.

                “I need your wrists.” I slowly held out my hands and he tied them with the string. With how tight he tied it I almost expected it to hurt, but instead felt a pleasant tingling sensation flowing through my wrists and down my arms. I felt my shoulders relax a bit from the soothing feeling.

                The guard and other guy came over and gently placed the casket on the ground at our feet. As they lifted the lid I closed my eyes tightly and inhaled sharply, feeling my heart thump painfully fast as my breathing picked up speed.

                I need to calm down. If I’m freaking out like this then I could screw everything up and lose Justin forever.

                I felt a small tugging at the other end of the string and opened my eyes to see the elder tying it to Justin’s wrists as well. I tried to look away but couldn’t. A tear slipped free and slid down my cheek as I stared at my mate’s motionless, pale hands. I felt the urge to look up at his face but resisted. If I do that then I’ll lose control and break down.

                I felt the tension in the room increase as my friends stood near the wall, watching and waiting for my reaction. I swallowed thickly and ripped my eyes away, focusing on the floor instead.

                The elder finished tying the string and then stood. I looked up at him and he rested a hand on my shoulder yet again, staring intently into my eyes.

                “Listen closely, child. It is very important that you do as I say if you want your mate back. Do you understand?” I nodded slowly. “As I said before, this will be extremely painful. You must stay awake through the whole thing no matter what. If you feel that the pain is too much and wish for me to end it, you may ask me to stop it and I will. However, if I stop it then you along with your mate will be lost forever. There are no second chances. Are you sure you want to do this?”

                The room was silent after he stopped talking and I continued to stare into his eyes for a moment before swallowing and nodding yet again.

                “I understand.” He saw the determination in my eyes and nodded, getting on his knees beside the casket and motioning for me to do the same. I kept my eyes on the wall across from me as I did as he asked.

                He placed one hand on my head and one on Justin’s, closing his eyes and muttering so quietly that I couldn’t even hear him despite how close I am. As he chanted to himself I felt a strange tugging sensation in my chest and the string began tingling more.

                I glanced down at it and gasped when I saw how bright it’s glowing. Suddenly the tugging in my chest turned painful and I gasped out, my hands jerking slightly as I moved to clutch it. I stopped myself and squeezed my eyes shut as the pain intensified.

                It feels like something deep inside me is being sucked out, flowing through my body and into the string around my wrists which continued to tingle. I felt a scream building up but bit it back, tasting blood in my mouth.

                The pain continued to get worse until it surpassed anything I’ve ever felt, even worse than when I saw my ‘father’ murder Justin right in front of my eyes.

                White spots exploded across my eyelids and I felt a heavy blackness begin to consume me. It became harder and harder to stay awake and I felt myself fall onto the cobbled floor beneath me, my body arching and twisting.

                The only thing keeping me awake right now is the faint tingling from the string. It’s reminding me that Justin is here, and he and our pups are depending on me. If I lose consciousness then it’s all over for us.

                Suddenly memories flashed through my mind. They flicked through my mind like a slideshow, going from the time we met until our final moments together before he died. The pain I felt from his death added to the agony that I’m already feeling and a bloodcurdling scream tore its way up my throat and past my lips, bouncing off the walls of the large room.

                The pain stopped and I slumped against the floor, my face pressed into the hard surface as I breathed heavily. It was silent other than the sound of my panting as everyone waited. My eyelids fluttered and tears flowed endlessly from my eyes. I expected to be at least a little sore after that, but I’m just extremely weak.

                My wolf yipped in my mind, making me jump. She has been quiet for a long time now, curled up in a dark corner of my mind and whimpering for our mate.

                My eyes snapped open when I heard a loud gasp that wasn’t my own.

                I held my breath and stayed completely silent as my heart pounded in my ears.

                Yet another gasp met my ears and then a quiet thump sounded in the casket beside me. I instantly sat up and looked into the box, hope bubbling up inside me.

                My heart gave a shuddering leap when I was met with the sky blue eyes of my mate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*squeals happily* Guys, I am sooooooo flipping happy that this finally happened! I've been dying right along with you guys, trust me. I love Maddy and Justin too so I've also shed tears over Justin's death, and I also wanted to kill Maddy's dad with my own bare hands.

Again, I'll try to update again sometime this month.

Love you guys! <3