chapter thirty-four

━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

"ONCE AND FOR ALL"

━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━

YOU AWOKE TO THE SOUND of the alarm going off. You were very groggy, and wished for sleep, but you knew that the whole strike depended on tonight. You pushed yourself to get out of bed, and did the same to Race, who was not as eager to wake as you were. After a few grumbles, he eventually agreed to get up, and the two of you got ready in the blink of an eye. You brushed your hair out of your face and topped your head off with your hat, while Race tied his shoelaces.

The two of you poked your heads into the main room, wary of waking up any Brooklyn boys, only to see the room lively with boys getting ready. Hot Shot was tying his bandana on, Greaser was fastening his suspenders, and others were doing mundane tasks like tying shoes or fixing hair. One older boy was even shaving in a tiny broken mirror. You were surprised that everyone was this eager to help.

You kept your eyes peeled for Spot in the busy room. You wouldn't have thought it'd be hard to miss such a character, but thanks to his height and wardrobe matching every one else's, it turned out to be a little bit difficult.

Finally, Spot found the two of you, who were standing awkwardly in the corner. You two stood out like sore thumbs, your blue and grey toned clothes amongst the sea of black and red.

"We're ready to leave as soon as the two of you are ready to lead." He said, sticking out his hand to shake. You gave him a firm shake and Race followed.

"Let's get down to business."

***

You and Race had led the Brooklyn newsies through the dark streets of New York. Sure, they knew where Manhattan was, but they definitely didn't know about this secret printing press. You had just found out about it yesterday from Jack. Apparently he'd seen it after he met with Pulitzer.

Race seemed to know the way better than you did, and you were thankful. You realized how embarrassing it would've been if you had dragged Spot all this way to admit you had no idea about what you were talking about.

Everyone slipped through or over the gate surrounding newsies square, and prayed that the night guards were nowhere around. You inhaled as you made sure your party had made it through. Race began to lead the line of red clad newsies to the basement entrance. Supposedly, that's where you'd meet up with Jack, Davey, and Katherine. You caught yourself smiling at the thought of being reunited with Davey.