chapter twenty-two

━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

"LOOK AT ME"

━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━

IN THE MORNING, you woke up before nearly anyone else did. At least you assumed you did. Everybody was going to be taking it easy today, that's what Race has said. Everyone was going to meet up at Jacobi's and discuss what came next.

You went to sleep fairly early and woke up the same. This resulted in you getting ready before any of the boys. You decided that you'd wear your own outfit, the one you wore yesterday. It would be weird going out in the open as yourself, but it would also be refreshing.

As you finished up lacing your boots, you could hear some soft commotion coming from the room next door. The boys must've been getting up. After waiting in your room for a few more minutes and making sure everyone was decent in the next room, you went to go see the boys. You sat on Race's bed as he too tied his shoes. He commented that it was nice that you were here, since most of his friends aren't around at night or in the mornings. Albert usually headed home to his dad and brothers as the sun sets, and JoJo, while technically living in the Lodge, went to sleep early and liked to beat everyone else to the streets.

"Do you know what exactly is next in the strike?" You asked him. "Since we got beat so bad I'm not exactly sure what to do."

"We can ask Davey, he'll know what to do."

The two of you put the topic of conversation onto the side as you waited for the rest of the boys. Soon enough all of the boys, plus yourself walked over to Jacobi's deli, ready to regroup.

***

All of you sat around the tables, looking more worse for wear. All the bruises had grown more apparent in the hours between the fight and now. Several of the boys had obviously not received the best first aide, as a few of them were sprawled out on the tops of the tables, Finch included. Race was even sporting a nasty bruise beneath his eye. You could only imagine what kind of purple your black eye had mutilated into.

You were sitting next to Davey and Les, inquiring as to how Davey's mother took the news of Les' arm and the whole strike.

"I mean she wasn't exactly enthusiastic, especially now that someone else in her house was injured, but she understood." He looked at you. "She was also really worried about you, but I just told her you were fine since I wasn't sure if you were okay with me explaining the whole story."

You nodded, and were about to respond when a small thud hit your leg, thankfully missing your bruise.

"What the-" you turned around to see Finch glaring you down.

"Keep it down, Shortstack. My head is throbbin'." He informed you.

You nodded and turned back to face Davey, but the two of you didn't get to talk long before Katherine walked it.

"Would you get a load of these glum mugs?" She asked. "Could these possibly be the same faces as the ones that made the front page of the New York Sun?"

As soon as she said it, any regard for Finch's headache was thrown out the window. All the newsies, including yourself, stood up and cornered around Katherine, careening to get a look at the picture. You squished your way through and snatched it out of her hand before retreating back over to Davey to look at it closer.

She was right. Every last Manhattan newsie was smack on the front of the paper. You let out a squeal as you leaned over to show Davey, who smiled at your happiness.

"This is great Kath!" You exclaimed, before Race snatched the paper out of your hands and headed back over to the group, yourself following.

Romeo began squealing about looking for his picture, and Buttons rejoiced about not having to be the last in line for a bath. You smiled at the boys who seemed so much more like family now than they had three days ago.

Soon enough, after everyone had gotten a good look at themselves, everyone had sat down, Race still hogging the paper. Katherine walked over to both you and Davey, before asking some questions.

"I heard they arrested Crutchie, did they get Jack too?"

You shook your head. "We haven't seen him, not since the whole brawl."

"I don't know where he went, but we'll probably find him soon." Davey added.

Katherine nodded, and it was almost like you could see the worry forming in her eyes. Nevertheless, she shook it away and turned to you.

"How are you feeling?" She asked.

"I've felt better, but a strong improvement from yesterday." You explained.

"I'm glad you feel better than you look." She joked with you, before you grabbed a napkin off the table and popped her with it. The three of you were laughing at Katherine's joke while you heard Race yell across the the room.

"Can you stow the seriousity?" He asked, waltzing over to Finch who had obviously said something that was too boring for Race's taste. "Long enough to just drink in the moment!" He shrieked as he playfully punched Albert who had been following behind him.

"I'm famous!"

He had grabbed Albert by the shoulders and appeared star struck and you could help but stifle back a laugh.

"Yeah? What of it?" Some other newsie shouted.

"Well are you stupid or what?" He asked the group, all of which were confused.

"When ya famous, the woild is yer erster!"