chapter sixteen

━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"AN UNEXPECTED GUEST"

━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━

WHEN YOU AWOKE YOU were surprised by the unfamiliar room you were laying in. Then you remembered you were in Davey's house. You blinked the sleep out of your eyes as the sunshine began to crawl through the windows. It wasn't just early enough for it to be fully daylight, but not dark enough for it to be considered night. A special time of day trapped in between, dusk.

You sat up slowly, leaning against the headboard of the bed. No one else was up yet. You could see Davey lying on the floor on the other side of the room. You felt kind of bad, letting him sleep on the hard floor. Then again, he did offer to sleep there.

Nevertheless, today was a busy day.

It was the day of the strike.

You still needed to get up at at 'em if you wanted to make it to the gate by the time the strike started. You had decided to go ahead and get ready now so you could avoid the awkward conversation with Davey.

You pulled back the blue sheets and crawled out of the bed, taking small and delicate steps as to not make loud noise. You creeped around the room to your bag, where it sat on a hood behind where Davey was sleeping. As you passed him, you couldn't help but notice his mussed up hair and sleepy eyes. It was kind of reassuring that even Davey, ever so perfect and delicate Davey, wasn't perfect all the time.

You smiled and headed for your bag. You pulled out your second pair of pants, and as you did a small piece of paper tumbled out.

You had almost forgotten about it. The note that Greaser had given you had a whole lot riding on it. You unfolded the small piece of paper and read it to yourself.

Shorty,

I ain't know many Manhattan newsies to say much to me other than Jackie. I was real impressed by what you said the other night. So, I'm giving your bunch a second chance. Meet me with nobody else.

S.C.

You blinked, confused. Where were you supposed to meet him? And when? It didn't seem like Spot knew or cared much about details. You just knew you'd need to get ready fast so you wouldn't keep Spot waiting.

As you picked up your pants and shirt you heard and fine rapping on the window. Your heart hammered to a stop and your eyes widened. Who was there? Which of the newsies knew where Davey lived? Did Jack? Or could it be...