chapter thirty-one

━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

"RALLY TO REMEMBER"

"RALLY TO REMEMBER"

━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━

IN THE MORNING YOU could barely contain your excitement. The rally was tonight and you'd spent a lot of time brainstorming and thinking of what to say to the city's newsies. It was a slim chance that the second Vice President would get to speak, but nevertheless you couldn't wait.

You had hurried and sold all of your papers before heading over to the theatre. You and Davey had decided to come a little bit early and set things up.

Upon entering the theatre you saw Davey and Les rotating Jack's set painting, so that the political cartoon now faced the audience. You agreed that it was a nice touch and that it added to the already splendid environment of the theatre. The two of them stood back to admire their work.

"Looks nice!" You called from the back of the theatre.

Davey spun around to see you standing there and gave you a goofy smile once he realized it was you. You smiled back as you walked closer to the stage.

"You guys ready?" You asked the two of them.

"In all honesty, no." Davey admitted, sheepishly scratching the back of his neck.

"I am, Davey's just being a chicken." Les said as he hopped over to the edge of the stage and sat down.

You looked at Davey with a small smile. "There's nothing to worry about, both Jack and I will be there." He gave you a nod and shortly after the two of you resumed preparing.

***

The house lights were off and the stage was set. All the newsies has gathered on the stage and an excited mumble filled the theatre. At this point you were waiting for Jack to show up, as it seemed that all the other newsies had arrived. Including Brooklyn.

Spot had showed up with all of his boys, just like he'd promised. You spotted Greaser too, as well as a few others you'd seen before. All of the other newsies began to look the direction of the infamous borough, and you could tell that some of them were nervous. You decided that you'd go give them a warm welcome.

"The Manhattan newsies, and the Vice President of the newsboy union welcome you to the rally!" You cheered as you walked nearer. Spot gave you a smile, while a few others dwindled about.