chapter five

━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━

CHAPTER FIVE

 "SNYDER THE SPIDER"

"SNYDER THE SPIDER"

━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━

RACETRACK HAD SHOWN you to the place where you were supposed to meet Jack. So with your hands sweaty, and mind cluttered, Racetrack left you at a corner waiting for your supposed leader.

So you stood there, pulling your change out of your pockets and beginning to count it. You soon heard a high pitched call from not too far off.

"I just sold my last paper!"

Les.

That had to mean Jack was nearby, right? You looked up and spotted the trio coming around the nearest street corner. Jack was patting Les on his back, while a solemn Davey followed behind. You pitied him. He seemed to be the third wheel, even when his own brother was there.

You couldn't hear what he said as he spoke to Jack, since he was so quiet compared to Les and Jack, but you tried to read his lips and motions. He waved a paper around and you thought your heard "one".

He still had one paper left.

Les ran up to Davey before snatching it out of his older brother's fist.

You began walking toward them, you wanted to see what was going on. Your feet were padding along the cobbled streets as you approached them. You could spot Les just ahead as he gave a middle-aged woman the puppy dog eyes and told a lie.

So lying wasn't just a Race thing, it was a standard newsie thing. You were close enough at this point, so when Les turned around holding his coin he spotted you right away.

"Hey! Shortstack's here!" He exclaimed. He ran at you at full speed, making sure not to let go of his coin, before wrapping his arms around you in a hug.

You coughed before nodding.

Jack and Davey approached, the latter pulling Les off of you.

"Nice to see you alive, Shortstack. Surprised Racer didn't try to dare you to cross the Brooklyn Bridge." Jack said, that stupid grin on his face.

You stared at him, your eyes wide in surprise. Race might've been a little childish, but would you really die from crossing the Brooklyn Bridge? You looked to Davey, who just shrugged.

"I wanted to see how you did on your first day." Jack broke the silence, approaching you. You dig into your pockets, pulling out a variety of coins, mainly pennies. You counted quickly, tossing coins onto your empty hand before dropping the copper and silver money into your pocket.