prologue

━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━

PROLOGUE

THE OFFICE ACROSS THE HALL

━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━

THE COUGHING HAD FINALLY GOTTEN  too loud for you to bear. You decided against waiting it out in your bed and rose to go check on the source of it. You walked out of your bedroom, still in your nightgown, rubbing your eyes. You exited your room and looked across to the room across the hall.

Your mom was seated in a chair in the office, doubled over. She was coughing more frequently than she ever had.

"Mama? What's wrong?" You asked. She looked up, her [E/C] eyes looking in worry. Some people might've said it was childish for you to call her "Mama" especially since you were fifteen years old, but you thought otherwise.

She turned around, halting her coughing once she saw you. "I'm sorry I woke you, honey. I promise you it's nothing, you can go back to sleep." It was astonishing how fast she attempted to assure that she was fine. You shook your head, as you walked further into the office.

"Mama, that's not just 'nothing'. I've heard it in the middle of the night. You should call a doctor to check on you, we can't let it get too far along." You told her. In all honesty, at this moment you felt more like the mother than she did, you telling her to go to the doctor, her denying she was sick.

She shook her head, just like you had earlier. "I don't want to spend all of our money on some common cold that will go away. I'll be fine, just go ahead and go back to sleep." She said as she turned around and sat down in her chair.

She had been working from home for a while, typing up taxes for some small businesses in the area. She'd made sure she'd made enough for you to able to go to school. Some families had to take their kids out of school just so they'd have enough money to eat dinner. You were thankful for your mother's effort, but part of you felt useless.

You nodded and followed her instructions, heading back to your room. It was still dark outside, but the sun would rise soon enough. So you rummaged through your wardrobe and looked for your most modest outfit.

+=+

After school, you came back to the apartment building and called a doctor over using the phone in the lobby. Your mother would be frustrated when she found out that you had called the doctor over, but you'd rather lose some money than lose your mother. In about half an hour, you heard the knock on the door.

Your mother ran to the door, slowing down to catch her breath. Her face fell once she opened the door.

"[Y/N]! Care to explain why there's a doctor at my door?" She called to you. You quickly shuffled to the door, holding it open for the doctor. Your mother didn't stop you from letting the man in, but she gave you a glare.

"Mother, I know we both have some money saved up and I thought it'd be best if we went ahead and made sure you were okay." You explained. Sure, your explanation was filled with a few holes, but it made decent sense. She shook her head at you again and led the doctor to the parlor.

After a short check-up, the doctor asked you to come back to the kitchen. You followed him, eager to know what he had to say. Once he stopped by the table, setting his bag on the surface, he turned to face you.

"What is it you wanted to tell me, sir?" You asked.

He looked at you through his spectacles and sighed.

"Your mother has Small Pox."