chapter eighteen

━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

"THE STORMING OF THE BASTILLE"

━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━

YOU SWALLOWED AND ALMOST instinctively stood behind Jack, but you knew you had to stand for your own. You weren't going to get very far in life if you let bullies like the Delancey brothers push you around.

They started fighting immediately. You knew you couldn't fight them head-on, at least not while you were your current height. So, you took off to where the Delancey brother's backs were facing, where the newsies began to encircle them. The Delancey's thought they might've been able to fight all the newsies when there were a few of them who were feeling lukewarm about the strike, but now when there were even more newsboys than before, all of whom were riled up, they didn't stand a chance.

Race, Albert, and JoJo took initiative to fight them immediately. The three wild boys formed a triangle where they turned over the Delancey's rather fast. Jojo would give a shove to Morris before the brother stumbled into Albert's punch. Race next delivered a firm kick to the shin. They continued passing the two of them in a circle, until the Delancey's broke free and pushed their way out of the wall of newsies. They ran off to where Wiesel was standing.

All the newsies erupted in cheers of excitement, jumping onto each other, patting each other's backs. Everyone was excited and cheerful as you had again received another victory. Just in time, Katherine appeared with a camera. A story for the paper. Yet, another victory.

Soon enough, like mother ducks, you and Katherine directed everyone into a picture perfect pose. The shorter newsies in the front, taller ones in the back. You, Davey, and Jack stood in the center. Everyone's faces were covered with unmistakable smiles. The flash went off and Katherine told the photographer to go ahead and head back for The Sun.

As soon as you saw her heading over, you ran up close. "You should of seen it Kath! The Delancey Brothers, got completely knocked out by Race, Albert, and JoJo." You were smiling. That's what they got for stealing your penny. The two of you talked for a while. It was refreshing to talk to another woman, even if she didn't know you were one.

Soon enough, all the happiness ended. A loud crash issued in newsies square. You looked up to see Snyder standing up top with the Delancey brothers. You swallowed. It seemed like the one person Jack was afraid of had come.

The new appearing posse began descending down the stairs. You turned to Katherine.

"Get out, write that story." You told her. She nodded and bolted out, taking the back way out.

You spun around and looked for someone you knew and trusted. Davey was standing across the plaza. He was looking at you.

"Let's get Les and get out." He shouted at you. You nodded. You agreed completely. You knew you wouldn't be able to fight and it definitely wouldn't be safe to keep Les here.

In an instant all the newsies sprung into a frenzy. Newsies were fighting Delancey's. The volume of the area had increased by a tenfold, and hoots and hollers were audible from across the courtyard.

With the speed of a thousand winds, you began to run around the plaza and look for Les. He was probably hanging out with Race and Albert, the boy always admired them the most. You saw the two boys, already swaggering over to fight the Delancey's again, but Les was nowhere in sight. Panic filled you inside. Hopefully Davey had found him. Then, you saw it.

JoJo has just thrown a large barrel at Oscar Delancey. After hitting the brother, it was swept aside. Then it happened. Jack had picked up Les and told him to crouch down inside the barrel. You were tempted to dart across to the boy, but you lost your chance.

The police showed up. Romeo began to scream, sporting a large bruise on his eye.

"Finally, you've shown up, they're slaughtering us!" It was a pitiful noise.

As soon as that hope that the cops would save you had sparked, it was snuffed out, as a officer slapped Romeo across the face. You gasped and covered your mouth as you stumbled back. You needed to get out.

You looked around you, at the catastrophe that had sprouted in a matter of mere minutes. JoJo and Albert were trying to pull Oscar off of Race, but to no avail. Davey was trying to make his way across to Les, but couldn't find an opening. Romeo was trying to crawl away from the officer, but he wasn't strong enough to pull himself to freedom. Buttons and Finch were pulling Kid Blink out of the fray as fast as they could, although another officer was on their tail. So much was going on at the same time, so many people who needed your help. So many people who you couldn't help.

But one voice stood out of all the screams.

"Jack! Help!" The pitiful screams of Crutchie could be heard. You spun around to see him on the ground, Snyder raising his crutch above his head.

"It's off to the refuge with you, little man!"

You bolted. You ran as fast as could. You launched yourself onto Snyder's back. You grabbed and reached for his arm or the crutch, as an attempt to protect Crutchie. You scratched and clawed. You were even tempted to scream and bite, just so Crutchie could get away. You could hear his voice exclaim in slight relief.

"Shortstack!"

It didn't last long, you were too weak compared to the adult man that was Snyder. He shook you off, and you fell to the ground. Another pain struck in your rib cage, and another in your head as they kid the cobbled ground.

"Morris, take care of this one."

"Gladly."

You didn't even realize he was there until Snyder said anything.

"I'm sorry, Crutchie!" You shrieked.

You didn't get to hear anything else, Morris had grabbed you by your foot, and dragged you to the middle of the fray. You began to twist and turn, but he wasn't going to let go. Pebbles dug into your skin, and the rough stones tore at your flesh. You could already feel the bruises forming. He let go for a moment, but only to throw a punch at you. Your face suffered the blow. Morris next grabbed you around your waist. You weren't getting away now.

He yanked off your hat, braids falling with it.

"What the—" he asked, aloud.

You felt like everyone was staring at you, like everyone was disgusted, but no one had time to look at you. You swore you heard someone gasp. Through the small window of freedom that you had, you spotted JoJo, staring back. Maybe they wouldn't care. You prayed they didn't. It was silly for you to be thinking so selfishly about what others thought of you, especially when all the disaster was happening around you.

In the moment of Morris' surprise, you took advantage. You stomped down on his foot, and twisted yours down as hard as you could. He yelped and let go of you to grab hold of his foot. You began to stumble away as fast as you could. You tripped and fell on the cobble, bones aching. You attempted to stand, but felt so helpless. You saw a shadow fall in front of you, and held your breath. Everything was hopeless. Race was probably bested by Oscar's brass knuckles until he passed out. Romeo might've been bleeding out. Morris had caught up. You gave up. You breathed out and released the tension in your shoulders.

Instead of Morris coming to beat you into submission, it was Davey who stood over you. Your vision grew black, but you could see his blue plaid shirt and brown hair.

He put your arm around his shoulder, and slowly helped you stumble away, Les following.