chapter three

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

CHAPTER THREE

THE WELCOME WAGON━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━

THE WELCOME WAGON
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

YOU LOOKED AT THE newcomers with a raised eyebrow. What did they want with you? And what was up with the nickname?

"I'm going to sell." You responded, flatly, to the boy who seemed to be the leader. He laughed.

"No need to rush, them streets ain't going no where." He paused and you waited for him to continue. "Why don't you come and introduce yourself?" He suggested.

This was exactly the opposite of what you wanted. Telling your name, making yourself known. You exhaled.

"Fine, but I can't be too long."

The young man who had spoken laughed, clapped you on the back and led you back to where the other newsies were still getting their papers. You flinched once his hand made contact with your back. You told yourself to remain calm.

He showed you to a medium-sized group before turning to you himself.

"I forgot to introduce myself, I'se Jack Kelly." He spoke, as he held out his hand for you shake.

You accepted it, and shook his hand, but not before noticing how rough and worked his hands were compared to how pampered yours were. That could be a red flag for who you really were. You swallowed, before responding.

"I'm Frank, Frank Weaver." You said, quickly.

"How old is you'se, Frank?" He asked, with a questioning raised eyebrow.

"I'm fifteen." You said quickly, without even thinking.

"You're fifteen?" The other older boy asked, surprised.

"You'se looks like you'se eleven." Jack said, laughing.

"Dang right, I'm fifteen. I just haven't hit my growth spurt yet." You said, sheepishly, thinking of your small stature. They probably didn't believe you.

"Whatever you say, Shortstack." Jack said, laughing. He turned to the other boys who had gathered during your conversation.

"Why don't you'se all introduce yourselves to the new kids? Davey, Les, and Shortstack." The way Jack spoke was like giving orders to the other newsies. They all fell into a rhythm of cycling between you three, shaking hands, and slinging their arms around shoulders.

"I'm Jojo."

"Buttons."

"I'se Specs."

"Kid Blink."

"My name's Albert."

"I'm Crutchie."

"Racetrack Higgins, what a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Soon enough, you'd shaken hands or rubbed shoulders with every newsie on the lot. After turning quickly to keep moving, you were met with the other new boy.

"I thought that I should introduce myself and thank you for standing up for me earlier. You have more courage in an inch of you than I do in my entire body." He said, laughing at the end. You smiled and offered your hand to shake.

"I'm–Frank, but you probably already knew that." You said, pausing after the first word, barely catching yourself about to say your real name.

He smiled as he shook your hand. "I'm David."

"Nice to meet you, David." You said, refraining from smiling. You knew how feminine you looked when you smiled. It very might be the death of you when someone was staring dead at your face, like Davey was right now. He let go of your hand and began speak again.

"I think we should check back in with Jack, he mentioned something about selling partners and you can also meet Les, wherever he is." Davey–as Jack called him–had already begun to turn and walk toward Jack, you following not far behind.

"Can I sell with Shortstack? That'd be awesome!" A little boy–who you assumed was Davey's little brother Les–said rather loudly to Jack, whom you were approaching.

"No can do, Les. You'se sellin' with me." He said, laughing at Les' antics. He looked up from the shorter boy to face you and Davey.

"Well, speak of the devil," he said, smiling at both you and Davey. "We was just talkin' about you two." He informed you. "Les here says he wants to be your sellin' partner, Shortstack. I mighta let him if you'se wasn't so new yourself."

The conversation was about to continue but Davey interjected. "Come on, Les, let's get going." He must have not heard Jack say he was planning on selling with Les. He reached for his brother but Jack interrupted.

"You'se brother is sellin' with me today," Davey didn't speak, just stared. "I'll show him the ropes, and such." He explained. Davey looked as if he was about to object but he exhaled. 

"Fine, just make sure he gets back to me before it gets too late." Jack smiled and began to walk in another direction before turning to you and Davey.

"You two go find Race and Albert, tell em' I sent you. Make sure they's your selling partner's for the day, and get em' to show you around." He explained before walking off, Les trailing not far behind him.

Davey turned to you. "Do you remember who Race and Albert are? I'm not exactly sure if I do." He spoke, mumbling the last sentence. You shook your head.

"They ought to be around here somewhere," You said, standing on your toes to look around.

A loud holler carried across the square.

"You'se looking for me, Shortstack?" An arm threw itself over your shoulder and your feet leveled. You looked up to see a blonde boy with a cigar hanging out of his mouth, standing next to you. This was Race, if you remembered correctly. You shrugged his arm off your shoulder, before turning your body to face him.

"If you're Racetrack, and Albert as well." You explained, staring at him, Davey at your side.

"So Jack wants us to show's you the ropes?" Racetrack asked, a stupid grin on his face. You nodded.

"Albie! Looks like Shortstack and Davey needs our help." He yelled over to someone on the other side of the square. Maybe this was the Albert that Jack had spoken of?

A redhead thundered over to stand next to Racetrack. He looked to his friend for further instruction as he pulled down his hat again.

"It's time we show these new kids the ropes."