CHAPTER 47

As Damon and Aileen were comfortably seated in the now moving carriage, Aileen took out a wooden box from underneath carriage seat. Damon looked at her sceptically and she simply shook her head. He raised his eyes in question which made her to open the box and show him the contents in it.

Damon saw some hair and powder inside the wooden box Aileen had in her hands. He expected some armour or knives for their safety, but these contents confused him further more. Aileen after noticing his expression explained to him,"I can cover my face under veil or with hand fan when in need, but how do you plan to withhold your identity from everyone inside?"

Damon was further puzzled at her query. That thought did not pass his mind in the hassle of getting inside the castle. There could be many gentlemen from society inside who knew him well. Then another question crossed his mind,"Where did you find these things?. You were not carrying this all with you on your horse."

Aileen shook her head and huffed. She took out some hair and a small bottle with a syrupy liquid in it. As she opened the bottle and took out the liquid, she applied it on Damon's face. Then while fixing a beard on his face, she explained,"I did not carry this gown either, but I prefer to be prepared in earnest for any necessity. The carriage driver you saw outside is my well trusted man, Francois. He followed us on my orders in case I was in need of anything. These belongings I kept with him for if I needed them in any crisis."

Damon was baffled by the intellect of the lady. She came more prepared than him. Then a thought struck his mind and he asked,"What happened to the coach driver?"

Aileen shut the box and kept it where it was placed before. Then she looked at Damon's now settled false beard and replied,"Well I believe he must be tied to a nearby tree from his master. I let Francois take care of him. Now act as a french, we are about to enter the estate." She opened her hand fan and started fanning herself.

Damon settled his hat over his head and smoothened his freshly grown beard. The carriage was now outside the brightened castle. Damon and Aileen looked at each other as they prepared themselves to step outside the carriage. Aileen adjusted a veil over her face and took Damon's arm,"Remember My Dear, You are a french aristocrat and I am your british wife, although I do not believe how will you act the part of an aristocrat." He smirked and nodded as they slowly stepped inside the huge building.

The hall was filled with ladies and gentlemen enjoying the ball. Damon and Aileen entered the hall and tried to find anyone familar but everyone inside seemed unfamiliar to them. Damon took Aileen to a corner,"I believe we should try to find Rupert or Ashburn as this gathering seems to cover the deeds they are doing behind closed doors this instant."

Aileen nodded and suggested,"You are right. I suggest we should split for now and try to locate clues to what is happening exactly inside this castle. I have commanded Francois to gather as much information from around which could benefit us later."

They both nodded in unison and parted ways in different directions to search for something of importance. Aileen reached the far corner of second floor of the castle and heard some noises coming from the farthest room. They seemed to be of men discussing or rather arguing over something. She reached near the door and tried to listen closely to whatever was the matter.

She heard a loud bang followed by movement of chair on the floor,"We have waited for years for this. You simply could not delay anymore." A voice of man spoke.

Then another voice followed which seemed familiar,"I have to delay it. We could not let this all go in vain due to our urgency. We waited for years to concoct this and it will be a hazard to me and my men to follow this plan when we have eyes watching our movements closely. The message was destroyed and went in wrong hands. It could have reached the majesty and there is also a chance that we are being closely watched."

Aileen knew that voice. It was him. She wanted to get inside and bury her sword right through his black heart. She calmed herself and listened intently. She will have to wait for now as there seemed to be a devious pursuit behind all this. She has to find Damon but later, as for now she has to listen and find out whatever these people are planning.

Then she heard another man speaking,"You shall not forget we got you out from ruins for this purpose. You were a mere robber before. We took pity on you and saved you from getting hanged for your deeds. Now you shall serve our government for what it has given you." The man had an authoritative french accent.

Indeed french were after something but what have they been upto. From their tone it seemed they have been planning something evil from years which will affect the ties between both countries. She needed to know more for there seemed a lot more conspiracy than expected.

Her revenge will be fulfilled soon as the culprit was now out for her to drive her sword through. However, for now whatever these men were planning was of utmost importance to unfold.

After few more arguments which did not mean sense to her, the meet seemed over. The men now moved to get out of the room and enjoy the ball they have been gathered for, Aileen hid herself well away from the men to take notice. All she needed now was to find Damon and look for further clues to this turmoil of conspiracy.

She looked around the banquet but the man in question was nowhere to be found. 'Ahh! where the blasted man vanishes off to when required for some help.' she thought.

Suddenly she heard a french accent, it was accompanied by female laughter, however Aileen knew that voice very well. She moved in the direction of voices, and there he was.. 'The nerve of the man, here she was prying and eavesdropping over the conversation of most brutal men while her supposed ally was busy enjoying the ball and charming the beauties it adorned.'

He definitely needed to be taught a lesson that he'll always remember for his good. She thought. Then a thought came to her. Perhaps after completing the task assigned to her, she can rejoice some moments out of misery she will put on her coadjutor. She took a flute of champagne from nearby table and moved towards the laughing party with all the poise and grace she could muster.

.............................................

HELLO!!!

So what she have in her mind?? I know it will be something wicked.. Damon had it coming.. We'll get to see in next chapter.

Thank you for your support and dedication towards my work that despite being too much cooped up with work I am still able to continue with it.

Hope you enjoy it ;)