CHAPTER 5

Aileen's head wobbled back and forth and sometimes side to side. It made her realise how much she hated to travel by carriage and also how far London was from her aunt's estate. Not only this, but also how teetering and tottering the path had become since last time she visited London. She looked at her aunt sitting in front of her who was sound asleep on the uncomfortable carriage seat. She sighed and closed her eyes, resting her head back on the carriage wall. Everything  made her feel giddy.

In a few hours they were to reach London and she was soon to be aquainted with her betrothed. But she had it all figured out. Through Francois' expert digging on Lord Damon Roy Richards Marquis of Cambridge, it was well established that Damon never paid much attention to Ladies of society and he took no pleasure in entertaining Ladies at social gatherings either. A Few of his mates from eton had said that Damon never took interest in ludicrous and dim witted ladies or their vulture like mothers trying to find suitable men with titles. Though his life apart from buisiness and estates of his father was what captivated the interest of everyone. No soul knew what he did at nights as he was never in attendence of many social gatherings and, from what could be gained from some fickle servants, he never spent many nights at the estate. There were stories of mistresses but these were unfruitful ones and there was no history of any tryst. The man himself was a conundrum, Francois has said. Damon was a man who knew well to keep his secrets to himself and, if Aileen's informant was to go by,which Francois truly was, then it meant Aileen would have to deal with a lot in the coming days but it also made her decide her next move for the charade she was about to begin in London.

Aileen smiled coyly at herself and mentally patted herself on the back  for thinking up the perfect plan to make Lord Damon Richards break off this godforsaken engagement.Francois had outsdone himself giving Aileen copious amounts of information for her to use . She had figured it all out in the week  she had for preparation before moving to London. After all what a man wished for in a wife is too a would be Duke wished. Just a few things: One, a Lady should be civil enough to make a splenddid Duchess by his side. Two, beautiful enough for society to swoon for her. Three, Intelligent enough to manage his servants and the needs of his house. Four, detached enough to not meddle with his aristocratic life and lastly, well that is the toughest part. Interesting enough to keep his interest from going wayward.

Aileen thought simply to antagonise  all of the above rules and her life would be all sorted again. All she had to be is Ugly, moronic, meddlesome and if things went too far, then a lightskirt. This will not only keep Damon at bay but every man like him. From all the information she aquired, she just have to present herself as a countryside, dim witted sassy to them and all her problems are solved. Despite her promise to her aunt to follow the proper etiquette of society, she'd do this. Though her aunt would not wish for her neice to marry for honor over love, here for Aileen even love could  not be the case. Aileen will make Beatrice realise once they reach the estate the Damon won't be any good for her. Afterall it would not be hard to make a man dislike you if you wished it with all your being.

Aileen brought Anna along with her, as anna was the sole companion in whom she could confide in and trust with her charades. Just before leaving she made sure Anna packed all her dubious gowns and bonnets. She also made sure to pack her mask and OTHER clothes. Aileen also kept her pistol and sword safe within the chest under her carriage seat. Francois had given her the news on the trail of highwaymen she was expecting and if his erudition was true then soon she'd be exploring the streets of London and London could also entertain masked beauty very well. But it will take time and planning for masked beauty to be out and free as living in the Duke's estate would be a big hinderance. That would surely have to wait.

At last the carriage came to a halt and Aileen sighed "finally". As her aunt Beatrice jerked up due to the sudden halt of the carriage saying "What ?? Where??".

Aileen rolled her eyes at that "oh nothing Aunt Beatrice, we have reached Cambridge. let's go " Aileen gestured her hand forward for her aunt to step out of carriage first. The carriage door opened and Beatrice stepped down with the help of footman. Aileen took a deep breath and reminded herself of the task at hand, smoothing her bright pink gown. She smiled slyly at that, she specifically chose this gown as it had a little too revealing a neckline and the colour of gown did not go with her skin. She looked sort of unamiable in it and the matching bonnet should do the wonders for the outfit. Now all those gowns that she had neglected due to reasons such as these, would be put to good use, she thought. Aileen stepped out of carriage and entered the chateou. It was humongous and seemed even prodigious since her last visit. They entered and were greeted by the old butler wilkinson who bowed at ladies.The Duke was waiting for them in the morning room. They both entered the room and greetings were exchanged.

The Duke observed Aileen with a frown, glancing at her from head to toe and then proceeded towards Beatrice, raising his eyebrows questioningly to which Beatrice just shrugged. After tea was served they all sat at the chairs "I can't believe you have grown up to be such a.." The Duke paused and then said," umm admirable woman my dear Aileen"The Duke again glanced at her from head to toe, with his frown only widening.

Aileen took that as a positive sign, then blushed and smiled sweetly at her uncle" ohhh Uncleee... I've missed you so. You yourself look very well" she spoke in a tone a bit loud and thin. She giggled at that, only making the Duke frown more. He again looked at beatrice to which she again shrugged. Damnation, the Duke thought, what's wrong with the girl? The last time she visited she was a lady of honor, not some country sassy.Now look at her. The Duke wished so much for Damon to not see Aileen right now, But to his misfortune the door to the room opened and there stood DAMON

DAMON practically ran to the morning room the moment he realised their guests had arrived. He was so eager to scare off, no, he amended his thoughts, to aquaint himself with his supposedly betrothed that he jerked open the door to the room. The room was bright due to peircing rays of sun and smelled of lavender. There were three people seated on the chairs. One was his father and the other two were ladies.A few long strides forwards and  now he was standing in front of them. His father smiled at him nervously, which Damon raised his eyebrows at " My son! It gives me a great pleasure to introduce you to Countess Beatrice ashford" with that Beatrice smiled adoringly at Damon and held forward her gloved hand which he obligingly took forth and bent down to press a kiss to it.

"How are you Milady??" He smiled at Beatrice. Beatrice answered smiling widely at him, "Completly divine, my dear". The Duke cleared his throat and Damon again diverted his attention to his father " Son let me introduce to your affianced, Lady Aileen Eloise Maxwell". Damon sighed and plastered a smile on his face, turning around to greet Aileen but then his smile turned into a frown. He looked over her, head to toe, she was tall and petite with her gown exaggerating her every possible curve and indeed the gown was a shade of bright pink, along with that matching bonnet over her head with a yellow large feather increasing its well exposition. And that betraying neckline on the gown that was amplifying her de'colletage so successfully, it left less to imagination. Damon took a deep breath, Indeed his father had chosen this girl for his damnation. Just then, she lifted her head and met his eyes blushing a little. There was something in those green eyes that sparkled for a moment before becoming devoid of further emotion. She smiled too sweetly at him, fluttering her long eyelashes. Damon gulped and tried to change  his frown into a smile, which seemed hard. He held her gloved hand in his, bent forward and gave a quick peck on it before standing straight again.

"Well my dear, we apologise but our journey was quiet tiresome and if you would allow, we would like to retire to our chambers for rest". Beatrice spoke up silently eyeing her neice.

The Duke going along with Beatrice to save the day agreed with her," Sure Milady, the journey seemed  to have worn you out, we'll see you at dinner". They all exchanged pleasantries and while they were talking Damon grew uncomfortable at Aileen's constant all too admiring gaze and, her all too sweet smile.

The moment the Ladies left the room Damon turned to his father, rage and anger burning in his eyes, "I AM NOT MARRYING THAT MORONIC STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE" Damon huffed and puffed, with anger laced in his voice at his father and without listening to anymore of his father's nonsense he left the room in a jiffy.

"Oh dear!! It's not going to be an easy journey". The Duke sighed and pulled out a handkerchief from his waistcoat to wipe the sweat droplets tracing his forehead.