CHAPTER 24

The recital was completed earlier than expected. All the guests seemed enervated, probably due to everlasting performances at recital, which drained out all the spirit and vigor off them. The dinner went by uneventfully, owing to Beth and soon, everyone retired to their chambers for night. Damon and Aileen did not converse for the evening and both of them went their own ways to their chambers, without sparing a glance at each other. 

Beth and Beatrice were summoned by Duke William to meet in the study. Soon, three of them were seated in the study. William seemed deep in thought over some issue, sitting in the seat in front of the study desk, with Beth and Beatrice seated in front of him on the two chairs opposite to the large study table. 

William sighed and spoke,"All went as we planned, then why at the end of evening they both seemed to sidestep each other?". William had the perfect scheme to bring both his stubborn children together with the help of Beth and Beatrice, though both seemed even much hard headed than he thought. 

Beatrice frowned at William's statement,"When they were on stage, It implied, they had eyes only for each other. They insinuated a feeling of a real couple. Then, after interval, they were back to disregard one another's presence. It seems rather challenging to get those obstinate children of our's together." Beatrice just shook her head and sat back on her chair. To her, it was next to an impossible task to make Damon and Aileen realise they were ideal for each other. According to her, It was time for Aileen to forget her painful past and create a beautiful present with Damon but the girl was strong willed, only if she could divert her mind from the revenge she has been seeking since childhood. And, Damon provided the adept opportunity, if only they both were not so adamant.

Beth snorted at both of them, and took the decanter of brandy placed on the table, pouring herself a generous amount of it. William's eyes widened at Beth in disapproval, but she just avoided his condemning gaze and finished the brandy in her glass with one gulp. Beatrice shook her head disapprovingly as well at Beth, but Beth looked at Beatrice and shrugged her shoulders.

Beth suggested,"I told you earlier, It would not work. May be if you would have let me handle it my way, they might have been walking down the aisle by now." Beth crossed her arms and sat back relaxingly in her chair.

William shook his head,"All I wanted for them was to spend some time with one another, to act civil and then, perhaps get to know each other. However, they can only act civil for a limited period. Why are both of them so oblivious to their growing attraction?". William burst out with exasperation, he only had a little amount of time with both of them, and he needed to work fast. Though, with Beatrice and Beth on his side, he still felt helpless. Beatrice seemed to be scared of every plan they concocted and well, as for his sister, Beth was Beth. He will not be surprised if Beth walked down the aisle with some gentleman half her age, before Damon and Aileen, If all the rendezvous she had so openly displayed in front of everyone, were to go by. Oh how his late brother in law must have endured with her, was a different matter of thinking for him.

Beth suggested again,"My plan is still there, if you two could not come up with something, we can always mix some sleeping medicine or rather sedating medicine in their drinks during dinner and then make them share their bed. The next morning all we have to do is barge in the room before they even realised what transpired between them. Then, before you know they are man and wife the next day." She grinned at her scheming ways waiting for William and Beatrice's disparaging stares.

William and Beatrice stared wide eyed at Beth, who simply shrugged at them. Then Beatrice spoke,"How can you speak so boldly of compromising a young girl with your own nephew? Its degrading." Beatrice huffed at Beth and stared at William to talk some sense into his sister.