CHAPTER 22

Aileen was trying to make herself appear adroit and determined in front of so many people, though only she knew on the inside, there was a storm of solicitude consuming her. Never in her life, she has fretted over a performance, may be due to the mere fact that she never had to perform before, not even in front of her aunt at home. Beatrice knew Aileen's capability or rather ineptness when the topic of music came forward. The instrument Aileen knew to play, was mostly played by men that too soldiers perhaps she should renege now, it is still not too late. 'Oh! I have never fretted before, even while facing or beating most brutal of men in town. Now a performance was giving me cold feet.' she thought. She gulped and glanced at Damon who seemed to be pondering over something himself.

Damon was a man of his word but now he was dreading the moment he challenged his aunt in displaying his talent in front of so many people. Above that, he was supposed to SING.. He had already consumed two glasses of stiff drink to calm down his jittering nerves. Surely he cannot weasel out now, in presence of so many noblemen. He will be the jesting matter for long, he will not let that happen. 'Why do I had to fall in the pit Beth dug for me.?' He thought in his mind. He spotted Beth nearby who adorned a bright green gown with a red turban over head, and was prancing around like a peacock in the hall. She surely looked like one too.He took a deep breath and glimpsed at Aileen, who also seemed overwhelmed with the presence of so many eyes on her.

Damon whispered to her,"I do not see any musical instrument?" He raised his eye brows at her. He was now rethinking that they might have discussed deeply over their song, however both of them were stubborn enough to realise they might ruin their meager chances of being presentable for the evening.

Aileen was cogitating over the fact that she should have told Damon about the musical instrument, or better the only instrument she could play. No girl or lady was seen before taking interest in the particular instrument, and they might turn out to be two stooges even before their act had commenced. She should have inquired Damon about the song he was going to sing as it might provide some comfort yet she was also skeptical over his ability to sing, with *gramercy to Beth. Aileen felt a nudge at her shoulder and she turned in Damon's direction who looked puzzled at her. She raised her eyebrows at him questioningly.

Damon shook his head,"I asked about the musical instrument you are going to assist me with?" Damon now was affirmative that Aileen was also apprehensive as him. It seemed they both were on pins and needles. Aileen cleared her throat and brought her hand forward that contained a smal black colored thin looking pipe like object. Damon's eyes widened in recognition. It was a fife. She knew how to play a fife. Damon observed her then said," You know how to play a fife?" He could not keep his bewilderment away from his query.

Aileen hesitated a bit before speaking,"This is the only instrument I know how to play, I told you I'll adjust the tune with regard to your song. So this is the best instrument which can bring out proper symphonies for any song." Aileen gulped and hoped Damon will not lash out at her in front of the audience who was now watching them intently.

Damon shook his head and grinned at her,"It is perfect for the song I am about grace our so willing audience with." Damon was now a little calmed after reassurance of the instrument Aileen had with her. He only knew the patriotic songs usually sung in the army, which were maily tuned in with a fife. What a chance coincidence, he thought.

Aileen sighed and relaxed, she knew how to play fife very well, and since Damon had confirmed it was perfect for his song, she only hoped she knew the song well. In fact, she wished now Damon should be capable of euphonious singing. She glanced at Damon who was already looking at her, then he took a deep breath and nodded at her. Aileen sighed and started with basic low notes of fife, to create background music for his song. Damon started off with the song.