CHAPTER 13

Aileen was jerked up from her slumber the next morning. At one moment she thought, she went through a dream of having an encounter with a rogue, then it all came along, darkening her morning with a conniption she tried to get control over. This morning was different than others, instead of Anna's humming, she was awakened from her sleep by her prattling, of how they were going to be late, how Beatrice will be furious and they need to be ready soon. Aileen just took hold of her head, in both her hands with her elbows over her bent knees. she was still sitting on her bed. 

"What happened My lady?? It seems if you are going in for a cat fit.. Is something amiss??" Anna went near Aileen, with her eyes focused on her mistress, trying to get hold of what is going through her mind. Aileen just gazed at Anna, and slided to bedside, shaking her head.. "nothing, i am fine." that's all she could utter at that time.

Just as there usual morning ritual, Aileen disrobed and went for her bath with Anna brushing her hair. "Milady, were you able to get a hold on information you required, last night??". Aileen nodded at her, "it seems everything is now falling into place, above all, all my answers will be revealed soon, if only i could get hold of the man over at Hartfordshire." At the mentioning of Hartfordshire, both Aileen and Anna jumped in realisation, and spoke together, "Oh we are late." And then they both hurried to make on time, as Duke William do not take lightly to latecomers.

Aileen reached the carriage panting to catch her breath, as she had rushed herself to be on time for departure. Beatrice and Duke William were already seated in the carriage, it seemed they were only anticipating for her arrival. Then her eyes met those blue grey eyes, Lord Damon, if she would not have been panting heavily, she was sure, her breath would have hitched now. Aileen gulped when Damon smiled at her, she bowed, "Good Morning, My Lord". She could not bring herself to look in those hypnotising eyes of him, as they made her do and say things she regretted. 

Damon came forward, curtsied at her, then took her gloved hand in his own, and planted a soft lingering kiss at her knuckles, "A splendid morning it has turned into, My lady". Damon was stunned at his own statement. He was meant to maintain distance and here he was flattering the lady in front. Surely, something has possessed him, he thought. Then, he noticed a tinge of pink at Aileen's cheeks, smiling inwardly, he thought may be he is not only one affected. He helped Aileen in to the carriage and took his seat beside her, with Duke William and Beatrice seated in front of them. Damon was suspicious of his father's motives to make a hasty decision for Hartfordshire, may be he was up to something. Surely, if he knew his father well, he was not to let go the betrothal that easily. 

Aileen could not believe herself, everytime Damon was near, she blushed and smiled like a naive callow country-girl, and she was anything beside. When he smiled, something melted inside her, and when those blue grey eyes looked at her, something fluttered deep within. How were these feelings seeping their way through her rocklike exterior. She surely was losing acumen. It was decided now, once she reached Hartfordshire, she will maintain distance from Damon, and needed to concentrate on task at hand, to find Jack and extract knowledge of Crooke from him. 

Suddenly Damon's thigh brushed against her, breaking into her thoughts, she gasped and looked towards him, he was looking outside through the window. Aileen thought of it as a aberration, and moved her thigh away from his touch. It seemed if carriage was getting congested and blocked, she felt a sudden need for air. 

After few long hours, the carriage ride came to an end, and Aileen hurriedly stepped out from the carriage feeling a rush of relief flowing through her. She earnestly believed, albeit she was feeling under the weather, certainly weather was changing, what else could be the reason of her frantic heartbeats, breathlessness and sudden blushing accompanied with that.