CHAPTER 30

Aileen had to drag herself back to manor, but her torned gown might show a different story altogether. She thought the night was over for her, there was no use in joining the ball again. She went backside of the manor where servant entrance was located. She looked around and made sure no one notice her presence. Then, swiftly she entered through the servant doors into the house. Aileen almost ran to the staircase before anyone was able to discern her. Once she reached in the confinements of her own room, she panted for breath. 

Aileen's eyes were filled with tears which she controlled. Ever since her parents, she decided she would never cry over things. But why were there tears in her eyes, she thought. Then every emotion she felt, came in realisation, she felt anger and disappointment. Her heartbeats were erratic, it could only happen to her, to felt wanted and rejected the same time. Aileen reached the side of her bed and collapsed over it. She sat on the bed and all the memories came back to her. Everything was in front of her eyes, still it took her a kiss from him to realise his masked self. 

His arrival from the library window in the middle of night, his pugilist skills, his baritone voice and that familiar fragrance of him which her senses had become accustomed to in a mere week. This week was the longest week she had to endure and most disheartening one as well. Anger surged through Aileen on all the moments she spent with him, it seemed she was more fumed over herself than him. Of all the futile things she ever did, tonight was the most foolish thing on her part. She herself let slip a clue for him to know of her identity. She could have used the knowledge of him to her advantage but in one particular emotional moment, she told him the truth. 

Aileen was more angry on herself than Damon. She screamed,"uhhhh..." and shook her head. She jerked the pins from her hair stiffly and let them free to fall on her back. Then she got up and went to her chest of drawers to find a night gown. When she was changed into her night gown, she laid down on her bed and blew out the candle which lightened the room. For now, she could not think about anything, perhaps a fresh morning might bring fresh ideas to tackle the situation. All she knew for now was, she did not want to see him at all.

Damon took his time to peruse all the knowledge that was laid in front of him a couple of hours ago. Inspite of accompanying everyone back in the hall, he decided on circumscription of his chambers for night. He now sat in front of the hearth in his room, with flames from fire casted shadows on his face and brightened the room. With a glass full of brandy, he envisaged everything that has happened in the past week. 

With a single gulp he emptied the glass and filled it again and spoke softly to himself,"When did I turn so asinine? Every single evidence was in front of my own eyes, and I turned my back to them. Above all, she was the one to break the news to me. I was still dumbfounded at her." Damon gulped the contents in his glass again and placed it angrily on the table in front. He wiped his mouth with his elbow and then loosened his cravat. He threw the cravat on his bed roughly and shook his head. It seems all his rationalities evaporate when it comes to Aileen. His life was so tranquil, as far as it could be, but then a week earlier this girl came along and rattled everything he has built around himself. He took a deep breath and raked a hand through his hair. 

He thought it was wise for now to maintain some distance and think matters through for a while. Even when he was rather inquisitive right now to jolt the door to her chambers and ask her the reasons he wanted to know. Though, he knew there was some valid reason to her actions and he wanted to explore those reasons that made her from a fragile lady of ton to a resilient Masked Beauty. With last thought of her, he laid down on his bed and fell into deep sleep.

.......................................................................................................................................................................