Chapter 35

Hello readers! Here is Chatper 35 of 'Protect Me!' Enjoy... 

Nate POV

I kept Riley pressed close to me as I felt her breathing even out, signaling she was asleep. 

Holy shit. 

Holy f*cking shit. 

Was this real? Was Riley here with me? I can't believe it. 

Holy shit. 

I didn't want to go to sleep, despite my aching eyes. If I fall asleep, it'll all be a dream. She'll be gone. I looked down at her. She was sleeping peacefully, her small form nestled against me, her mouth pulled into a pout. I ran my hand up her waist. God, she's beautiful. She's injured-- that much is obvious, but I'll be careful with her. 

When I first saw her with Cameron and Grace in my house, I thought they were trying to make fun of me. I was about to f*cking kill someone. But as soon as I saw my mark on her neck, I knew she was mine. Riley. My Riley. I moved her hair away from her neck so I could see the mark. I traced the tiny, dark swirls, and Riley shivered in her sleep. I couldn't help the smirk that appeared on my face. She involuntarily moved closer to me, and I think I growled. 

How many times had I wished for another chance, another moment, with Riley? How many times had I punched things and broke things, wishing I could have her back in my arms like she is right now? 

I don't know why, but somehow someone thought that I deserved a second chance. A second chance to protect my mate like I should have. And this time, I was not going to screw up. When I think about how I had almost lost her, lost her forever, I feel the sudden urge to punch something. But I didn't lose her. And for that, I'm the luckiest man alive. 

I close my eyes briefly, succumbing to the fatigue. Now that Riley's safe and here with me, I don't have to stay awake all night. I couldn't sleep without her. It just felt… wrong. As I tightened my arms around her, only one thought could be comprehended before I gave up trying to stay awake and fell asleep.  

Holy shit.

*****************************

Riley POV

I am gazing at Nate's sleeping form. He is practically on top of me; He is laying on his stomach, his leg draped across mine, and his arm securely fastened around me. His weight is sort of crushing me, but I don't dare move. I'm too mesmerized by the undisturbed expression on his face, only inches from mine. Each restful breath he takes reminds me that he's really here.

Since I've been awake, I've heard Nate groan in his sleep twice. My heart would constrict, sensing something was wrong. But once I moved, Nate's face would smooth out back to a peaceful expression, and would hold me tighter. I drifted in and out of sleep for a while, but once I was fully awake, I could see the soft afternoon light streaming through the drapes. 

Nate was still asleep, so I took this opportunity to just relish in his presence and admire him. His strong jaw, his eyelashes that reach the top of his cheekbones, his lips that always look so inviting. I lifted up a hand and tentatively traced his lips with my fingers. I kept my touch feathery light, not wanting to wake him. He's so… handsome. Striking, even.