Chapter 32

Hey Readers! First of all, I am SO sorry about the long wait. Not acceptable, I know. I hope I can make up for it with this longer chapter! Lots of stuff going on in the chapter, so let me know what you think! 

Riley POV

I woke up this morning with a pounding headache, dried tears on my face, and throbbing heartbreak in my chest. I don't think I will be able to handle Nate's feelings of anguish much longer. But I won't have to, because today I'm determined to go home. 

Jayden and I had to wait a week before Jack needed Jayden to go into town; It would have looked suspicious if Jayden brought the topic up. But finally, just when I  was beginning to lose hope in our plan, Jayden came back to the room saying Jack had asked him to go to town to get some alcohol tomorrow. Now here I am, scared but ready to escape this horrible place and see Nate. Nate. I miss him so much it hurts. Is he going to be angry at me for causing him pain? What if he never wants to speak to me again? A furious Nate, screaming at me for leaving him fills my nightmares. Am I a bad person for faking my death? Trust me, it hasn't been easy for me either. Every time I think of Nate or my family, I feel my heart shatter all over again. 

No matter how much I am in desperate need to get home, I don't want to rush Jayden. He has made it clear that he wants to get home to Emily as fast as he can. I trust Jayden, and I know he's smart. He's doing the best he can. I guess when you're away from the people you love, every minute feels like an eternity. 

"Riley," Jayden's voice brings me out of my thoughts. I sit up, my legs feeling cramped and my muscles tensed. He's holding out a brown, canvas sack. It's really big; it looks like it could carry a refrigerator or something.  What's in it? I walk over to where he is standing and open up the sack. It's empty. 

"What's it for?" I ask softly, not wanting anyone outside the room to hear me. Jayden brought his hand up to rub the back of his neck, and smiled sheepishly.

"Er, it's for you actually," Jayden said. I stared down at the sack, and then back at him. What? "Well we can't just let you stroll out of here, can we? This was the best thing I could find." Oh, he wants to put me in this bag. I shrug. 

"Sounds good," I tell him, "I just hope I'm not too heavy for you to carry." Jayden narrows his eyes at me, lifts his arms up, and flexes them. 

"I might not be as strong as Nathaniel, but I can handle it. What are you, like 80 pounds?" Jayden teases me. I glance down at my body. I really hope I'm not actually 80 pounds. I haven't been eating a whole lot, just the food Jayden sneaks me sometimes. And the grief and guilt on my shoulders makes me lose my appetite. 

"I'm sorry, Riley" Jayden says, "I didn't mean to-" I lift my hand up, interrupting him, and give him a small smile to let him know it's okay. 

"So, what's the plan?" I ask, anxious to finally escape from this hell hole. Jayden sets the bag down at my feet and lowers his voice. 

"Jack wants me to go into town at 1:00 to buy booze. I'm bringing two bags. One with you inside, the other filled with weapons. I'm going to tell Jack that I have some things to trade at the market. I'll put the bag with you in it in the car, and then we're off!" he explains. I nod. I look over at the dusty clock in the corner. 12:30. That gives us thirty minutes to prepare. Wait, but why does he need the weapons?