Chapter 14

This goes on for five days, I would fall asleep at a park, wake up at the hotel, and run. I didn’t know what to do. I have no home now. I’m officially on the streets. Sometimes I would wake up when Austin was picking me up from the parks I found, sometimes it was Phil or Aaron though. But mainly Austin. It’s getting dark out and I found yet another park, but this one has a little tree forest type of thing. I walked in between the trees and settled in for the night.

Halfway through the night, I felt someone wrapped around me. Austin’s arms were around my torso and his head was next to mine. He had pulled me into his lap so my back was against his chest. I tried to get out, but he held onto me too tightly. I relaxed and just laid there until the dark consumed me again.

<*><*><*>

This time when I woke in the hotel, Austin was sitting against the door, waiting for me to wake up. His eyes had bags under them and stubble was beginning to grow. I tried to get up without him noticing, but it didn’t work.

“Please…” he put his head in his hands, “Don’t leave, stay.”

When he looked up at me, only then did I notice how much I was hurting him. His eyes were red rimmed and tears were welling up in them, he looked so weak. I’m making his life worse, I’m making him act like this. I need to leave, but I can’t. Not now, later. So I nod in agreement, and hug him back when he hugs me. This time, when I leave, I’m not coming back.