🏀SIXTEEN

The loud blaring of Zay's alarm clock erupted throughout his room, and he grimaced in his sleep as he pulled the comforter set over his head to mask the sound

         The loud blaring of Zay's alarm clock erupted throughout his room, and he grimaced in his sleep as he pulled the comforter set over his head to mask the sound. That didn't matter, as he knew his dad would be entering his room any moment from now to make sure he arose on time. He held onto his last few seconds of sleep, and right on time William came strolling into his room like a drill sergeant.

"Get up Isaiah, a strong man does whats needed, a weak man does what he likes. And as much as you like to sleep in, you are not afforded that privilege. Get up boy!"

"Dad, you can just say wake up" Zay shook his head tiredly, as he swung his long legs over the bed.

"I shouldn't have to, you should be up at 0500! Not dragging your ass"

"Alright dad" Zay rolled his eyes, "Can I throw something on? I'll be down in a second"

William gave his son a stern look before turning away, leaving him to get dressed for his early morning workout. And although Zay did the same routine every morning, he never got used to it; The 5am crack of dawn chilliness as he jogged around the neighborhood for a total of a mile, barely awake.

Following that, practice on the court to work on all aspects of strengthening his game. His father was adamant about that, due to the fact he wanted Zay to be the best. This was his last year in high school and that meant scouts would be sitting in at the game, and after three years of being Fels's all star player, William didn't expect anything less this year.

"Again" William repeated, tossing the ball back to Zay.

"I think that's good time" Zay panted, his arm grasping the ball as he held his hips and caught his breath.

"I'll tell you when it's good time" William intensified his brow, "The season starts in December, giving you thirty six days to get mentally and physically where you need to be"

"I get that dad, but I have class soon"

William checked his watch, and realized his son was right. The once dark sky was now a light blue, and even the birds were chirping. He also had to be at work, so he decided to call an end to the practice. A relieved Zay returned to his room, and was grateful to catch a quick fifteen minute nap before getting ready.

However fifteen minutes quickly turned into thirty, and then a hour; The sound of his phone going off being the only thing to wake him.

"Hello?" He groaned, rubbing his eyes as he answered.

"Nigga where you at, class starting" Josh asked, and the sound of the bell causing Zay to hop up, "Anddd we gotta test, bro. I ain't ready for this shit"

"Fuck" Zay cursed, "I overslept. And I ain't either"
"Alright man, well get your ass down here"

Zay quickly disconnected the call, and then proceeded to hop in a quick shower to wake himself up. He threw on his uniform and sneaks for the day, and was out the door in an impressively fast timing.