F🏀UR

"So class, we will be reading The Norton Anthology of African American Literature

"So class, we will be reading The Norton Anthology of African American Literature. Now, I read this with my college students during the summer so this read will definitely prepare you for your upcoming semesters" Mr. Reyes announced, raising the identical book that was on each of the students desks.

"This book, shares stories that are both non-fiction and fiction, however it dives deep into the struggles of African Americans during slavery and post slavery. Any questions?"

He looked around the room for a hand, and without anyone with a question he continued on. Sasha began to jot down the little things he said about the book, as she always was a good note taker and didn't want to miss anything.

"He didn't even write anything yet" Lux giggled.

"I know, but that's the material you want to get" Sasha said dropping a gem.

Lux shrugged, and decided to write down whatever Sasha had on her paper.

"So, what are you doing after school?"

Sasha went to answer, however Mr. Reyes turned his back from the board and the two quickly looked down to their papers.

"Pssttt" Zay called from across the room.

They looked over, and he threw a piece of paper their way. Lux unfolded the note, and her and Sasha read it together.

"You wanna go?" Lux asked, referring to the invite to the party later that night.

"I can't" Sasha whispered, "I already got in trouble for coming in late yesterday"

She didn't know why she admitted that, however it was the truth.

"So did I, but so what?" Lux smiled.

Sasha smiled back, "Well I~"

"Ms. Swedenburg" Mr. Reyes interrupted the two, "Can you tell me, what do you know about W.E.B DuBois"

"Umm...DuBois believed in African Americans empowering themselves through different forms of education. So they could become apart of society for being just as smart as white people" she shrugged.

Mr. Reyes smirked, and without a reply he turned back to the board.

"So, you will choose a partner" he started, "Pick a chapter out of the book, and write a report on it.
Eight pages, double spaced, along with a powerpoint that you will also present during midterms which will count for half of your grade. So, take it seriously"

Chatter began to erupt from the class, as people didn't want to waste time soliciting partners.

"Aye Lux, you want to be my partner?" Zay asked, strolling over to her desk.

"No, I'm Sasha's partner" she responded, and Sasha creased her forehead however she didn't reject.

"Oh" he said letting out a slightly frustrated sigh, "Well, ya'll sliding to the party tonight?"