Chapter Twenty-Seven

"So, Dolores said the Cops are backing off of you and your sister?" Ivelyn asked, clarifying what I had just told them. It had been two days since Dolores told me about the anonymous phone call they received at the Police Station. I hadn't seen the Coven since and it seemed like something too big to put in a text.

We were all (well, except for Addison and the Cursed Ones) at the cabin in the woods. I guess I should call it what it really was: Sage and Jack's house. It was nice to speak so freely in a house. Even if it was about murders. 

"Yeah, pretty much. She said they didn't find anything at the Ports, which I suspected." Now, everyone was filled in. The Police were dead set on finding Vayne. When and if they found him they were going to charge him with the murders of Thana, Rebekah, and Cessair. I think that technically made him a Serial Killer.

"That's good about the Police." Ivelyn was deep in thought. "Your aunt never said anything about who called them?" I shook my head. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw Erik and Sage. They were sharing a recliner. Sage was sitting on Erik's lap and his arms were around her. They didn't seem to be paying attention to what we were saying. 

"No, I asked her if she could trace the call and she didn't say yes or no," I responded in monotone. Erik and Sage had definitely had sex since the rooftop scene. I found myself feeling jealous, but not of Sage for sleeping with Erik, but because they were having sex. Daniel was persistent in waiting for the "right time" which I was convinced wasn't going to happen. 

"Damn, you think she knows who placed that call?" This came from Troy. I shrugged. Honestly, I didn't know. I had my theories, but they didn't really matter. I couldn't prove them either way. 

"So, what do we do?" Mir asked to conceal filling her face. She sat on the opposite side of the room as Jack, which threw me off. At Ivelyn's party, they had been so smitten. Part of me thought they might start dating. 

"I have no clue." I sunk deep into my chair. I hated these talks, I always felt like I was drowning. 

"While you guys were talking, I compiled a list of people in the photos. Next, to their names, I put the time stop of the photo." Kate offered her notebook to Mir to start passing around. She pushed up her glasses with her middle finger. 

When the notebook got to me I skimmed the list, looking for any outliers. There were so many names, it was easy to get lost in them. What did any of this mean?

"Okay, I'll ask her," Ivelyn sighed. "How does this help us, Kate?" I watched the crowd as everyone took a deep breath in, mentally preparing for Kate-ramble. 

"Things we know: Cessair and Vayne AKA Sarah Good and Levi, but going forward I will refer to them as Cessair and Vayne," she took a breath. "They entered the party a little before 11:35 per the photo evidence. The body of Cessair was found, by one: Miranda Abernathy, at 11:48. This means, for at the very least they were milling about for thirteen minutes. Thirteen minutes they came, ditched Cessair's body, took another body, and slipped out undetected." It was a lot to take in, but I followed it better than most of Kate's talks.

"Right, we get it they're evil." Troy joked, getting a few laughs from the guys.

"It's more than that: it's systematic. They walked in there knowing exactly who they wanted to take back with them. They showed up with the intention of dropping Cessair's body off and hitching a ride on a new human on the way out." I understood what she was trying to get at. We needed to look at Victimology and why they have picked the people they've picked.

Sarah Good doesn't do anything impulsively. She picked Dara's cult for a reason and that was to get at me. She had convinced eleven people to try and kill me. When she put her mind to something, she was brilliant, but in the worst possible way. I cracked my knuckles.