Chapter Twenty-One

"Phantom, I'm not going to tell you again," I warned. His meowed loudly, then proceeded to tell me why he should come with me. Today, was Saturday and the first training day with the Lycan's. I didn't want him to get hurt. He was so small and the Lycan's were so large. 

Not to mention how sassy he could be.

I folded another t-shirt and placed it into my dresser. I was killing time, waiting for Daniel and Giu to pick me up. It was going to be a full house. I think Ivelyn was riding with Troy, Erik was probably already over there. Kate and Mir were coming with us, so we were taking my SUV.

"Oh come on, live a little Cornelia." I rolled my eyes up to the ceiling. He wasn't dropping it. I sighed, folding another t-shirt. After this, I checked my phone. Daniel was late. 

"Why do you even want to come? Don't cats hate dogs?" I asked, hand on hip. This time, Phantom rolled his eyes at me. 

"Pfft, you know I'm not really a cat, right?" I hadn't, but I guess it made sense. He was a Familiar and in this life, happened to be in a cats body. I didn't really know how it all worked. "Anyways, it's been at least a hundred years since we ran into Lycan's, I'm curious." The mention of our past piqued my interest. 

Phantom was tight-lipped about our past. He remembered all our past lives and I was insanely jealous. He reminded me that I had opposable thumbs, so we were even. I disagreed. I wanted to remember the past. Anytime I asked him to tell me about a past life, he kept saying it was too soon. 

"If you want to go, tell me about the last time we saw Lycan's." I finally had a bargaining chip. If he wanted to go with me, he was going to have to give me information. He paused, musing over this. I knew I had him on this.

"I won't tell you until after I see the Lycan's." I huffed, but my phone went off. It was Mir, telling me she and Kate were here. I walked over to my window, seeing Ryan's beat up car dropping them off. He hugged Kate tightly, not letting go easily. She wrestled free and waved goodbye. I watched him get into the car, glumly. 

I felt bad for Ryan. He had told me a lot about my family and magic. Now, his daughter kept more secrets than ever, his wife was divorcing him, and his son wasn't his biologically. It had to be hard for him. My heart went out to him. He was a really good person. 

I heard Gran let them in, and within seconds they were bounding up the stairs. Still no word from Daniel, which caused irritation and worry to manifest inside me. Phantom, sprawled out on the rest of my clean clothes and shut his eyes. Apparently, I was done with folding clothes.

"Hey, Corn!" Mir pushed open my slightly ajar door. She was smiling from ear to ear. She wore a long sleeve pink top with army green high waisted slacks. "Do you think I can borrow some combat boots?" I nodded, gesturing towards my closet. 

"Hey, Kate, how's your dad doing?" She sighed, collapsing next to Phantom on my bed. He let her pet him, even purring for her. I glared at him. He was being extra nice, so they would try and convince me to bring him. He was a clever cat.

"He's a mess," she covered her face with her face. "My brother found out and is acting super weird about my dad not being his dad. He went back to school, even though it's Spring Break. My mom--" she shook her head. "Isn't helping." I had met her mom, Isobel, and she was the opposite of who you pictured Ryan with. She was cold and materialistic and apparently, a cheater.

"I'm so sorry, Kate," I told her sincerely. She shrugged, putting on a brave face. Mir was lacing up a pair of my combat boots that went perfect with her outfit. They were all black and slouchy, matching up perfectly with her capri slacks. 

"Daniel isn't here yet?" Mir called from by my closet.

"No," I picked up my phone to see if I missed a text from him. I hadn't, so I text him, seeing what the hold up was. "If he's not here in five minutes, we should go without him." If anything, he and Giu could run to the cabin and still beat us there.