Chapter Seventeen

I shot out of bed, another nightmare about Lycan's. I grabbed my pillow, shoved it against my face and let out a blood-curdling scream. I was sick and tired of nightmares, especially the ones about Lycan's. I hated that each of them ended with Sage's smirk, filling my nightmare. 

None of that mattered. We were partners. Even thinking it put a bad taste in my mouth. I threw the pillow to the sides and stood up. It was time to stop wallowing in it all. I had told Daniel I would see him today, it was Sunday, the last day of the weekend. I wanted to see him. I wanted the distraction.

I took the quickest shower and threw on some random clothes. It was a long sleeve bright orange cotton top and black leggings. I added some socks with pumpkins and a silver chain that was tight against my throat. I liked wearing necklaces, but I knew exactly why I put this chocker-chain on.

It was protection against accidentally being bitten. Sure, I trusted Daniel, but things happened. Mistakes were almost too easily made. I knew this from the last time Daniel accidentally bit me. Well, it didn't really count as a bite. It was a scratch, but even scratches drew enough blood to scare me. I wasn't taking any changes.

I put on my favorite knee-high black boots and brushed my hair. Then, I was ready to go. Dara was at a study-group thing at the school, so as soon as I filled Gran in on my plans, I left. I wanted to walk, which wasn't something I usually did when I went to DAniel's. Usually, I was in such a hurry I drove there, putting my foot a little too much on the gas. I didn't speed very often, but when I did it was to go to Daniel's.

Except, today I didn't. Today, something about the crisp air and beautiful sun told me to walk. I wasn't wearing very comfortable shoes, but they would make the journey. I had told Daniel I was on my way, not divulging the details of how exactly I was on my way. It didn't matter to me. As I shut the back door behind me, I put one foot in front of the other and started my walk.

It really was a beautiful day. It was early, probably eleven, and the sun was out and about. There were some clouds out, but for the most part, it was a clear day. My boots crunched against the dirt and gravel. I stuck close to the forest. My fear of water, although completely irrational, still very much active. I didn't like walking that close to the water.

To be fair, the last time I dabbled with water, I almost drowned. If it wasn't for Ava and Erik I would be dead. The thought haunted me, sending a shiver up and down my spine. Ava, who I tried not to think of very much, had saved me that day. Erik brought me to his house, against his better judgment, and his grandma had healed me. IT was a miracle I was alive.

I wasn't trying to risk it again by walking on the river's edge. No, I stuck to the trees, even if I nearly tripped over every tree trunk. The branches hung low and I had to duck over almost all of them. Sometimes, it was truly rotten to be so tall. I don't know how Erik dealt with it every day. He was a lot taller than me.

My mind, like always, started to wander on me. I wasn't even halfway when the Lycan's popped into my head again. We were partners now, which felt odd even thinking. After Sage and I had shaken on it, she wanted to celebrate. It was her peace offering. She let us drink her beer, which I wondered how she bought because she was only nineteen. Nonetheless, it was a nice gesture. 

We "celebrated" and mingled. Ivelyn and Troy snuggled up to each other while the rest of us stayed fairly awkward. Well, I shouldn't say that. Erik and Sage hit it off really well -- a little too well if you ask me. But no one was asking me. In fact, no one seemed to care that Erik was head over heels with a Lycan. My fingers gripped the flash bomb and my tongue was at the ready to say the aneurysm spell.

Then, Addie had come up to me. She talked me out of it, reminding me that it was good to see him so happy. It hurt like it would hurt anyone. I was so sure Sage was the enemy, but here was Addie, my best friend, telling me I was wrong. It was hard to admit, but eventually, my fingers loosened on the vial. I tried to relax the next couple of hours until we left.