Chapter Twenty-Five

"I gotta say, Moreau, I'm impressed," Ivelyn remarked,  red martini hanging delicately from her hand. "The theme is one for the books," which coming from her was one of the highest compliments offered.

I opened my mouth to respond, but a girl in a strawberry colored spaghetti strapped dress started talking to her. I stood there, patiently waiting to talk to the birthday girl. Troy had bought her dress, but you wouldn't have been able to tell.

It was a two piece halter top dress in the brightest shade of red with a diamond choker, that matched the top of the skirt. It was gorgeous, to say the least. Everyone looked wonderful — dressed for a ball.

"How did you pull off all the booze?" Ivelyn asked me after she broke free of the other girl. A waiter walked by holding a tray of drinks that were lit on fire. I grabbed one, blew out the fire and took a drink. It was orange flavored something -- delicious.

"A spell," I told her wagging my eyebrows. The best gift I could have given Ivelyn was a magic-fueled party. She leaned in closely her porcelain face inches from mine.

"Seriously? Show me!" I found myself smirking. I was toying with the idea of keeping the spell to myself, but I knew Ivelyn spent a lot of money on the alcohol she had. Honestly, I was surprised she hadn't thought of the spell herself. 

"That's so smart," she finished her drink, set it on the table behind her. She grabbed two jello shots. One was red and one was black. She handed the black one to me. "Bottoms up." I didn't want one, but I did it because it was her birthday. 

We did another and another. After that, we made it to the dance floor, our arms looped together. Ivelyn and I hadn't always been this close. It wasn't that long ago that I really disliked her. It never went as far as hatred, but it was close. Now, we were at a party for Ivelyn that I had thrown. 

Our bodies moved to the rhythm of the song that pulsated against the chorus. There were so many people it was kind of hard to dance, but I was feeling the buzz from the alcohol, making me not care. I saw Daniel, talking with Giu and some guy from his Football team. In that sweaty hot moment, I wanted him. 

"I'll be right back," I promised her. Ivelyn nodded, grabbing a girl, I think her name was Jane. They swayed back and forth. I looked for Troy, but couldn't see him. There were seriously a ton of people here.

It took me for what felt like forever to reach Daniel. He was holding a beer that had been barely drunk. I opened my mouth but was distracted by a waiter walking by. I grabbed a drink off the tray, not paying any attention to what it was. I was too thirsty to be picky. Unfortunately, I realized after a couple gulps that it was the salted-caramel vodka soda. At the time, it sounded amazing, but it was too sweet.

"Corn!" Daniel yelled, waving his hands. I closed the space in between us. "I'll catch you guys around." He told them. Giu was smiling widely at the guy and the two of them took off down the hall together. "You look so sexy in that dress, did I tell you that?" He hadn't, but I didn't want to argue. 

"Yeah?" Gently, I bit my bottom lip, luring him in.

"Definitely." His arms felt nice around me, pulling me even closer. I felt his abs through his shirt. Lately, I had been so involved in planning and stressed about everything being perfect, I had barely a moment alone with Daniel. I wanted -- no, needed more moments like this. I closed my eyes, feeling the room spin just a tad.

His mouth found mine and we moved as one. I let my tongue slid over his teeth, feeling his fangs extend. It sent a thrill through me that was new. I was afraid of it but invited the feeling again. I ventured towards the end of the fang, applying the slightest pressure, knowing if I prickled myself hard enough it would draw blood.