Chapter Twenty-Four

It was finally Ivelyn's birthday. I felt like I had spent months planning her party when it had actually only been nine days. At least, it was here and I wouldn't have to plan another party again. I was leaving it to Ivelyn to throw the next party, which was Kate's birthday, but it wasn't until June. 

Of course, today was the day I overslept. To be fair, my alarm clock didn't go off. It was Dara who woke me up, a little after twelve. The party wasn't until later, but I still had so much to do. 

"Shit," I hissed, realizing the time. 

"You have time." Dara insisted. I scrambled to get up, running to the bathroom. She didn't know the laundry list of things I had to do today. There was a lot of driving around to pick things up. Why had I put things off until the last day?

I took the quickest shower and used the blower dryer to finish drying my hair. I didn't bother with makeup, I would have to bring it with me. I threw on a t-shirt and jeans, packing my dress, shoes, and accessories with me. Dara was putting her shoes on when I ran downstairs.

"Where are you going that you're in such a hurry?" My mom asked. She had a cup of coffee and a newspaper. Next to her was Gran, reading a romance novel. I didn't see Dolores, but she was probably at the Police Station, where she had been holed up a lot lately. The Police didn't have any leads, other than trying to find Vayne.

"It's Ivelyn's party tonight," I grabbed my keys from the dish, about to run out the door. Dara was on my heels, anxious to leave the house.

"Wait! I have some news I want to share with you two." Mom set the newspaper on the coffee table and stood up. She was smiling, which was something new. Lately, she had been super stressed and gone a lot. I guess I had been too.

"What's up?" I let the front door shut, facing her.

"Well, come sit down." She gestured for us to sit on the couch. We followed. Dara sighed behind me. "You know how your father was trying to get custody of you two?" My stomach dropped. I already knew there was no way I was moving back to New York. Even if the state told us too, we weren't leaving Salem. 

"He lost, he isn't getting full custody of you too. He wanted to settle on joint custody, but I told him no. I wanted to get your guys opinion on something though." I didn't like the sound of that. I didn't want to live with my dad half the time or any of the time. I thought we made that clear in New York.

"I don't want to live with him," my voice shook. I tried to calm down. I can't be upset today.

"Me either, Chad is a douche," Dara said in monotone next to me. Gran chuckled.

"Dara, don't call him that. Your father would like to have you guys during the summer," she didn't even get to finish her sentence. Dara and I jumped upright.

"No way," I argued.

"I will not go to New York. I do not want to live with him at all and I won't waste my summer with him. I--

"Okay, okay. It's one of many options. I want you two to have a voice in this. I'm simply the messenger. One option was to stay the summer, another is staying a month of summer. If you don't like that option either, he just asks to have you at least two weeks a year. You guys pick the times and he'll fly you to New York." My mom made it sound so simple. As if this was a business deal.

Honestly, it kind of was.

He didn't win the custody battle, but he wanted something to show for. He wanted to steal two weeks from Dara and I a year. At least, I was already sixteen, so it was only four weeks of my life. I could give four weeks. If it helped my mom out, I would do it.