THIRTY-ONE

Entered into the Wattys2014! :)

And @AniwayMateo has named Victoria's cat : Tori!

Any other ideas for Vic's cats name?

THIRTY-ONE – Conclusions [Christopher]

As I watched Victoria pass out, I was shoved back into my mind.

Blinking at the sudden return to my own body, I shook my head to clear it. When I could see without feeling confused, I looked at Victoria. She hadn't changed on the outside.

"Is she okay?" Taink asked, knowing, like all the others, what I'd just done.

"She was dreaming about the Alpha wolf. Her tiger was nowhere in sight," I told them. "She was running from him, then she turned and looked at me and tripped." I paused. "As soon as she was down, the Alpha wolf – in human form – was trying to kill her. But then a look came over Victoria's face... then it was like she remembered something, her power rose, and that was when I was shoved back into my own mind."

Everyone was silent for a moment, the only movement made by Alexander as he shifted in his sleep to move closer to Victoria. Then the silence was broken with an unexpected question.

"Is her mother dead?" Lusan asked in the eerie, airy voice of his.

"Why do you ask?" I asked Lusan.

"She said that "No more can die," then she started calling for her mother," Lusan told us.

"It would explain her silence," Caine spoke up. "She was in grieving for her loss."

"Don't jump to conclusions," I told them. "Talk to the bird Prince and ask him to send a couple of birds to check Victoria's house."

With a nod, it was Taink who left. I followed him out, deciding that the other were's deserved to know what was happening. Closing the bedroom door behind me, I stopped next to Taink, who was still next to the door, to see that I wouldn't need to go in search of the were's. They were camping just out of Alexander and Victoria's room. Waiting.

Faces turned to me and Taink the moment we'd stepped out the room.

"Charlton?" I called, trying to find him in the sea of faces.

He came forward at his name, a couple of werebirds following him. As he walked towards us, I wondered how he had managed to hide. It wasn't as easy as it sounded, and for Royalty to be able to do so? It should have been impossible. Yet Charlton Dryhten, Flock Prince of All Werebirds had managed to hide under all of our noses. Literally. Scenting the air, I tried to find his scent in the sea of scents, I couldn't. But that may just be because there were so many around him.

"Is Vic okay?" Charlton asked as he came to a stop in front of Taink and I.

"Would you send a couple of birds to check Victoria's house?"

Charlton frowned but nodded. Turning, he eyed the crowd. Then said one name. "Rayen."

A black haired, black eyed, small and gentle looking female nodded before turning to leave. She opened the nearest window before jumping out and shifting as she did.

As soon as she was out, Charlton repeated his question. "Is Vic okay?"

"Physically she is fine," I told them. "But she is in grieving, and killing the Alpha wolf is playing havoc on her mind–"

"I killed?"

Faces turned to the female standing in the doorway behind me. Turning, I saw a too thin figure in a large black shirt that came to her knees with pale blonde hair in a messy, non-brushed poor state, and light brown eyes that pleaded for me to lie. I heard several shocked gasps run through the hall way at the sight of their Omega in human form. Some disappeared, but I had a feeling that it was to fetch food and water rather than anything else.

"The wolf deserved it," another in the hall replied to Victoria's scared, shocked question. "He was insane and would have killed many more."

"I'm a murder?"

Watching her eyes start to glass over, become unseeing, I said the one thing I was sure to bring her back. "The wolf would have killed your mate next if you hadn't killed him. He was killing the ones closest to you since he couldn't get to you."

At that moment, Rayen returned, shifting to human in the hallway. As usual, none gave a care that she stood naked in the hallway. "The mother is dead. Her heart was torn out of her chest."

Hearing the soft cry come from Victoria, I turned to see that Alexander had awoken also. He was holding her tightly, happy that his mate was awake, sad because his mate was crying and he couldn't stop it.

"Why her!?"

I saw several were's wince at Victoria's cry. Felt the same as they did. My tiger would have been demanding that we find and kill Victoria's mother's killer if Victoria hadn't already killed him.

It was Charlton who came forward then. He looked at Alexander before tugging Victoria into his arms. Alexander clearly didn't like it, but gave in, willing to do anything in that moment to stop his mate from crying. Even if it was to let another male comfort her.

"I miss our mum too, Vic," Charlton told her, he sent a certain werebird a glare as the werebird had gone to open his mouth to talk. "I miss the fact that she'll never be able to make a second chocolate monster cake and pretend she only made one."

Victoria huffed a laugh then. "Yea..."

Charlton went quiet for a moment. "He wanted it to end like this, Vic. He killed our mum to weaken you for when the wolves attack. He killed our mum because he knew that one of you would die in that room when he got you there. He knew that alive or dead, you'd have all these so were's upset over loosing you, that the werewolves would win the war that they'd come to give us. He planned all of this, Vic, he knew that one way or another, after one of you were dead, thousands would end up dying, be it us were's or werewolves."

"I thought, "the insane do not think" was more than just words," Vic said.

"Maybe he didn't, maybe it was an Omega using him like a pawn on a chess board."

As a thinking silence began, Victoria pulled her mate into a three-way hug. And that was when a howl of a wolf split the air. Followed by a mental click on the bond between were and Omega.

Vote? Comment? Thank you!