THIRTEEN

THIRTEEN – Tiger, Tiger, Tiger, Gone! [Christopher]

Watching my son panic as his mate was knocked unconscious wasn't easy. Nor was understanding the fact that something very rare was happening in that room where my son clutched his mate in his arms with fear of not knowing what was happening.

"Lusan, get your brothers," I ordered. "Taink, JJ, my office. Now."

I wasn't surprised that Taink and JJ didn't move right away, taking a last worried glance at the female before they did. What did surprise me was Lusan. He didn't move. At all. Instead, he sat staring at the female in Alexander's arms.

Then after a few seconds, Lusan spoke with such a rare hope of warmth, I was stunned. "We'll help her, little brother. Have faith, your mate is strong." And it was only then that Lusan stood and walked off the bed as though there wasn't a drop and went to find his brothers.

Blinking, I took one last look at Alexander who laid his mate on the bed before quickly, reluctantly, grabbing some bottoms, before he returned to her side, laying next to her. Holding her. And I realised that Alexander loved this female. Who else would look so broken? And with that, I knew that I would do anything to help his mate. And it seemed that Lusan would too. God help any who harmed this girl. They'd be dead before they could blink.

Heading for my office where Taink and JJ were waiting, I entered and as I took my seat, the leather creaked in age beneath my weight. Caine and Layke walked in with Lusan behind them.

First thing first, I thought. Before I loose one son to another. Looseing Caine to Lusan. "Caine, if you touch that female without her permission you will feel not only Alexander's, but my wraith."

"And mine," Lusan added. Just as I thought he would.

Caine growled as the other brothers nodded in agreement. "I only went in there because I heard Alexander shout her name out. I thought she was in pain. I didn't go in looking to steal her!"

None of the brothers blinked at Caine's shout. Even though it was the first time in centuries it had been heard.

"Nevertheless, my words still stand," I said. Seeing the others growl in agreement.

Caine glared at us. "Just because I want a mate, doesn't mean I'll steal Alexander's. Not if I want to be alive tomorrow, anyway." I didn't miss the glance he gave Lusan.

After a moment, I brought us all back to Victoria's pain. "My brother found a book. Many, many years ago. In, said book, he said that there was a passage that says about humans becoming were."

I felt a sad amusement at my son's faces, even Lusan looked shocked. "It says that if a were finds and accepts their human mate, and the human accepts the were as their mate, the human will begin to change."

"I know matings between humans and were's are rare," JJ said. "But in all the ones I've heard of, I've never heard of the humans becoming were."

"That would be because they never started the change because they would be too reluctant."

When all I received was frowns, I continued. "The book says that it can only happen within the first week of the mated pair meeting after their eighteenth. And even then, it will only happen if the pair love each other."

Caine growled in impatience. "So if a pair love each other within the first week, the human changes? That's it?"

I shook my head. "What has our poor Victoria experienced a lot of recently?"

Lusan was the only one who didn't frown. "The current that was running through the room."

I nodded. "Pain. Pain and the want to protect those you love. Of course, this only happens if your a mate to a were, otherwise we'd have thousands more were's around the world."