TEN

TEN – Beyond The Door [Alexander]

Hearing the door open slightly behind me, I couldn't stop the snarl that rose and burst free as I tried to sooth and pet my mate who was still whimpering from the last shock that had run through the room, leaving me in my human form.

I scented food in the air, and I knew that the only reason food was being dropped in was for Vic. I was torn between feeling grateful for that small mercy, and wanting to rip their guts out for putting her in here... I wasn't sure how much more she would survive. Since she'd been put in with me, however, the amount of shocks had considerably lessened. Thankfully.

Looking over my shoulder showed a tray with mash-potato and beans in tomato sauce was waiting. Stream rising to show that it was still hot.

Moving Vic out my arms gently, I felt my heart clench when she just gripped me with all the strength that she could. Her grip was as strong as a butterfly's wings. I felt my eyes burn, and clenched my jaw, I refused to cry. I couldn't cry, not when she needed me.

"They've put some food in," I whispered in her ear. "I'm going to go check to see if it's safe."

She whimpered, but let go. The urge to wrap her fingers around my wrist again pulled at me, but I didn't. Instead I moved on all fours towards the tray, too weak to stand.

Just as I got close to the tray, I heard a thud. On the other side of the door. I cocked my head to listen. It was the first sound from beyond the door I'd heard in a long time.

Hearing the door start to open, I felt my tiger take over and my body go trough the shift again, I moved back to stand over Vic as quickly as I could. I waited, snarling at the door. Then someone entered the room. Growling in warning, I flashed my fangs, ears laying flat against the back of my head.

"Alexander," said a voice I hadn't heard in two years. "Calm. Your mate is safe. The wolves ran."

Hearing "mate is safe" made my human side look. My father, standing in clothes I thought I would never see him in, stood on the other side of the room, with my five brothers standing around him.

Calling my cat, we agreed not to be too defenceless and shifted to my half-cat-half-man form. Looking at my brothers, I couldn't stop the warning snarl with the knowledge that none of them were mated and I hadn't marked my mate yet.

"Caine is going to check your mate over," my father said in the same easy tone, so not to spook. "Make sure she's safe."

It wasn't until I gave a nod of agreement that Caine, my eldest brother moved forward. None of the others moved. Instead, they were looking my mate over. Caine paused as I snarled at my brothers

"Drop your eyes away, you fools," I heard my father hiss at those standing behind him.

Lusan was the last to look away. But it wasn't Lusan that concerned me. I knew that I would have been dead minutes ago if he'd wanted my mate. The same went for Layke. No, it was Caine, who wanted a mate most. A fact neither my human or tiger side liked as Caine came closer and closer.

Caine moved slowly as he touched and move my mate. "She seems fine physically," he said after a couple of moments. "Exhausted, and we'll have no idea how her mental state will be until she wakes, but she's fine."

"Good, then lets go," my father said, standing.

Scooping Vic into my arms, I sighed as her hand came to rest on my chest and she snuggled closer. But then I tried to stand. Just as I was about to take a step, my legs gave way. Sending me tumbling to the floor. I snarled at Caine who went to grab Vic from me.

Vote? Comment? Thanks!