8

I woke up to a dull ache in my back.

I whined out, moving my hand to touch the area, feeling a rag on the spot, noticing that it was a cooling rag.

I must've slept through them putting it there.

I pulled the rag away, slowly turning around to sit up, realizing how much pain this truly was.

I tapped my phone screen, seeing that it was around two in the morning, making me turn the lamp beside my bed on, seeing that the room was empty.

I put my hand on my side- feeling that I was even sore in that area, making me groan out.

I pulled my legs over the side of the bed- noticing that I still didn't have pants on.

Thankfully, I saw a pair of my joggers laying on a chair, making me easily grab them, putting them around my ankles.

As I bent to put them on, I noticed that this was going to be impossible.

I rubbed my face- avoiding wanting to cry just as a nurse entered.

"Oh no sweetie- you aren't supposed to be up at all, you shouldn't be moving your back" her voice immediately panicked.

"I just have to go to the restroom- and I just want the comfort of pants, please help me" I almost begged her.

I saw a moment of hesitation before she set down her clipboard, coming to me.

"I have a daughter around your age, I would want someone to help her if she felt this way, it just has to stay between you and I that I let you put pants on" she spoke quietly, carefully helping me pull the joggers up, immediately making me feel more comfortable

"Thank you" I whispered.

"Don't thank me- let's get you to the restroom" she spoke.

This was painful.

She put an arm around me, holding my hand with the other to help me stand,

"Try to just keep your back straight." She spoke slowly, guiding me to the bathroom.

Stepping hurt like hell.

I was never this vulnerable- through any of my surgeries.

I never needed help sitting on a damn toilet- but you'd swear I was almost paralyzed.

I felt a tear fall as I washed my hands, feeling her holding my sides as I did.

"Are you crying because you're in pain or because you're embarrassed?" She asked me, making me quickly wipe my tears as I dried my hands.

"I think a little bit of both" I exhaled out, feeling her arm go completely around me.

"I can't help you very much with the pain right now- but you have no reason to be embarrassed, as a nurse I see everyone at their lowest points- this isn't even a low honey, you're one of the strongest I've seen" she smiled, almost making me even sadder

"I wish you were my mom" I almost whispered to her.

Just as she opened her mouth to respond, there was a small knock.

"Aaliyah?" Ashton's voice rang.

The nurse opened the door- making a confused expression race across his face.

"She needed the restroom" the nurse explained slowly, making him nod.

"Need help back to bed?" He questioned.

The nurse stepped away from her spot, making Ashton take me in a similar way, but he immediately lifted some of the weight from myself, moving slow as he almost carried me back to bed.

"Go slow" he almost whispered as I grabbed his hand, trusting in him to help me sit.

I felt a tear fall from the pain once I was finally sitting.

I watched him crouch at my feet, his hands resting on my legs, one hand over my own, rubbing over my knuckles as I wiped the tears that were continually falling.

"Are you crying because of physical pain or emotional pain?"