Chapter 18 - Shadow of a doubt

The fire slowly died down to a mere crackle of embers that were left, Nicolas was soundly curled up on her chest until he woke up in the night from a bad dream about being chased by a dog, his eyes shot open as he looked around the room trying to focus only to see nothing but empty darkness but something was wrong, he could feel it but couldn't place his paw on it, he laughed at the thought for a moment but something moved from the corner of his eye and his fur stood up on end, the figure moved like liquid in the air and its hands were slowly making its way towards her bed, its face showed no emotion or even eyes, his instincts kicked in as the hand drew closer his claws perturbed out and clawed at the shadow, it lurched back into the darkness as Nicolas hissed at it and waited "what the hell was that?"

Again the figure tried to make its move towards her but again he hissed that made the figure lurch back for a brief moment only to be joined by another hand and then another, his eyes lit up as both sets of claws were out and tried to slash the air in a vain attempt to ward of his attackers as they flinched at first not coming any closer until one moved fast in a swiping motion knocking Nicolas clean off the bed and onto the side of the table causing him to injure himself, he tried to stand as his little legs wobbled shaking himself conscious, the shadows seemed to be all around  the bed slowly moving there way towards the bed edges, he could see the individual shadows but somehow it all seemed like one large shadowy figure, he used his chance to jump up through the shadows onto the bed letting out a loud hiss and screech that caused her to wake up only to come face to face with the shadows once more only to discover Nicolas on her chest, but before she could say a word there was a bright glare that lit the room causing the shadows to retreat back into the four corners of the room, both Nicolas and Alinson looked away for a brief moment only to see Issac bending over the fire igniting it with a click of his fingers and adding fresh logs, he sighed as he looked over "you know i can't keep saving you like this and we won't always be around"

Alinson looked back to see Issac bending over the fire warming his hands, his expression was blank and almost cold compared to the warm glow, Nicolas looked around the room confused but aware at what just happened "What the hell was those things?!"

Issac sighed "I believe Alinson already told you once but you told her they don't exist, even Kendor saw them"

Nicolas eyes went wide for a moment "what?! how come he didn't tell me"

For that moment he wobbled on his paws and feel flat on his side, Alinson looked down at him at him and quickly sat up to see if he is ok only to discover he was snoring, she sighed in relief looking up at Issac "is he going to be ok?"

Issac stood up and looked over to Nicolas on the bed, with a half hearted smile he nodded "sure he will be, let him rest he fought gallantly" Alinson watched e walk halfway through the door before looking back with a cheeky smile then adding "for a kitten"

Alinson sighed as she looked down on her savour and smiled, she began to stroke behind his ear that made him kick in his dream and a silent purr, her eyes felt heavy as she slowly got back into position falling asleep  once again.

Issac stood outside arms crossed letting out a sigh of relief himself "There are times when i hate sitting around and waiting, another moment too soon and holy hell knows what would have happend, oh well better head back to my portrait home i have to get my beauty sleep"