Chapter 6 - First Night and Day

Chapter 6 – First Night and Day

Alinson had not long been in the study after meeting with Kendor and her mysterious hunter now known to her as Nicolas, but it didn’t stop her from being cautious or weary about her surroundings, now and again the noise of a hammer striking metal or the whirl of something strange could be heard from down the hall, with each strike it made her jump just ever so slightly that it caused her heart to skip a beat, she viewed her surroundings noticing the book stacks all around her and the room, Kendor had not long brought in a tea tray full of steaming tea for her to try, he said it was called Midnight Oasis tea, apparently it comes from a plant not far from here and mixed with tea leaves give it a nice fruity but subtle flavour.

Alinson never had tea before and when she picked up the cup it was light in her hand, the cup was white with a gold band with a green leafy patter around, the tea pot and saucers matched in pattern, inside the cup was the tea but she knew it as a dark brown look but as she gazed into the cup it was a dark clear blue and it smelled sweet, Kendor was already sipping his tea with his pinky extended out, Alinson thought it was funny, she sniffed the tea letting fill her senses as she looked at Kendor and said “I never had tea before”

Kendor looked up from his cup his eyes wide open and gaze fixed on her as he watched her sip her tea with little sips at a time, a slight smile slowly beamed across his face, he took another sip and placed the cup on the saucer “well my dear there is always a first for everything and don’t worry”

Alinson was slightly alerted by his don’t worry words as she took looked up at Kendor and over her cup with wide eyes but her eyes showed worry and a hint of fear “he won’t do anything my dear, plus you have me”

Alinson smiled as she took another sip and placed the cup down “thanks, this tea is nice did you make it yourself?”

Kendor felt delighted by her comment as his smile broadened just that bit more “why yes, I bought the leave from a market that imports tea directly, so considering that you will be staying with us for a few days why don’t you tell me about yourself”

Alinson paused for a moment before she picked up a small silver spoon and started to stir her tea, there was no need for her to do it but she felt uncomfortable with the question, it didn’t take long for Kendor to notice her hesitation as he said “if you’re not ready to answer then we can talk about something else”

Alinson nodded “please, it is too soon to talk about or to open up about it, but I have a question if I may ask?”

Kendor nodded and held out his hand gesturing her to continue “Please ask away”

“Well, was you ever near a tower in a metal forest helping a young child?”

Kendor looked perplexed by her question but his answer was short and to the point “no I am afraid not, why do you ask?”

Alinson took another sip of her tea trying to think of a answer “I read it in my of my stories, just wanted to know what it was like”

Kendor had picked up his own cup of tea raising a questionable eyebrow, he thought about the fairy tale book that was in her back pack and probably still there “ah, you mean Rapunzel, sigh I knew a Rapunzel once, charming lass but put up quiet a fight for a Scottish woman”

Alinson smiled “so you and she were friends?”

Kendor laughed slightly “you could say that”

Alinson smiled “ok, so what is Nicolas doing in his room?”

Kendor paused and placed his saucer and cup on his lap and sighed with a weary smile “he does what he loves the most, he likes to invent and create and draw up plans for new inventions”